Tv Plug wiring (non sparky...diy'er)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I'm looking to hide my plug from my tv, as my daughter (12 months) has taken to pulling on the wire that shows from the wall.

here is a picture :
DSC01071.jpg

and a close up :

DSC01070.jpg

The double socket on the right is a fake, i cut the plaster board to i could get the scart and hdmi cables in the wall.

What i'm looking to do is wire the plug that is on show in to the back of the double socket, so i can power the tv from just by pressing the socket to 'on'.

I have a consern that i have no overload protection as i have done away with the plug. (is this concern justified??)

My thoughts:

could i spur off and replace the fake socket for ideally a double (one side fused switch and one side socket) cooker type switch? can i change the fuse in a cooker type fused switch from 45 amp to 13 amp.

I could replace the excisting switch with this also, leaving the fake socket as it is.

Thanks for any advice, it really is greatly recieved
cheers
Ben

Sponsored Links
What i'm looking to do is wire the plug that is on show in to the back of the double socket, so i can power the tv from just by pressing the socket to 'on'.

Ben
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, the switch only works on the front not the back which is permanently fed and not operated by the switch on front

You could look to have the socket outlet replaced with a switched spur unit though i'd suggest you call someone in to do it.

thanks for your reply, i switchable unit is what i'm after, but as stated in my original post, i only know of a cooker switch which also has the socket ouet aswell. I want retain a socket at this position.

i have found in the socket range that i have some fused switches which control cooker hoods and hobs, i was thinking that i could use one of these?

Sponsored Links
Put a dual box in to replace the double one that you have and you could then mount a single socket next to the fused spur.
Good idea
I did similar, however when I went to fit the fronts they were too wide and would not fit next to each other, I ended up using two single boxes coupled together

The dual boxes seem spaced for white accesories and some chrome stuff comes up wider
So be carefull what fronts you pick,

Yes, u are right there. I had problem once when making a panel with 4 FCUs in a square panel. Two dual boxes one above the other. At second fix time the customer decided to opt for Hamilton flat plat accessories = total nightmare as the switches were 3 mm wider in each direction :cry:

you could also use get rocca modular (homebase sell some units built out of rocca modular stuff but under a different brand name, the stuff they sell as rocca is the non modular rocca range) to build a socket/fcu combo on a standard double sized plate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back