Best way/option to paint walls after removing wallpaper? Old

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advise. I have stripped the wall paper in hall way and stairs and am now left with a mixture of old pain and plaster. I want to paint the walls, what do you think would be my best option as I think just sanding the walls down and painting on top of them it is not going to give a good even finish?

May be remove all the paint down to the plaster? May be use lining paper? Maybe there something out there that I can use on the whole wall before painting it? I’m after any other ideas or suggestions as i'm a bit lost at the moment.

Here are some picture to give u a better idea.

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I just done it by hand with scraper and water. All came off easy. Just left with this :) and not sure what would be my best step.

Ive seen a number of posts asking if a steamer was used for stripping wallpaper?

Whats the issue with using a steamer? Should all wallpaper be hand stripped?

Sponsored Links
well a steamer if left too long in one spot can blow a skimed wall it will also blow the older type lathe and plaster and will also cause the blown paint type effect seen in the pictures. there are very few occaisions where a steamer is required and can be leathal to your wallet if used incorrectly on a wall. :oops: You really dont need anything other than a chemical stripper, Diff for instance, and water or fairy liquid and water.

The best way forward would be for you to remove the loose and flaking paint with a scrapper. You then have a couple of options. You can feather the edges of the scrapped off paint with sandpaper so that when you rub your hand over them you cannot feel any ridges. You can fill the bare patches with Easi-fill and rub smooth. You will need to seal the filled or rubbed down surface with a watered down coat of contract emulsion then paint with a finish of your choice. If it was me I would Scrape off the loose paint, fill the imperfections sand smooth prime the filler and line the walls using lining paper then paint to suit. ;)

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think it would be a good idea to seal the wall with something before using the easi-fill.

Have read a few post were people have suggested dulux stain block or and pva + emulation mix.

Wipe the whole wall in undiluted PVA......

Thought that would wake a few up. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: DO NOT USE PVA on your walls when painting. No need to seal under the Easi-Fill just over the top. You can do it with stain block it would work but a bit of a waste of money as you do not hav a stain you are only making sure that the plaster/filler does not soak in all the water from the paint and a mist coat will do this for you.

Managed to easi-fill most of the walls and sand them down but there is this one part which keeps bubbling every time I apply easi-fill. I have tried scraping off the lose paint and sanding it down but every time I apply easi-fill the edges of the paint keep bubbling. What started off as just a little patch is getting bigger and bigger very time it bubbles.

Any ideas? Anything I can apply before using the easi-fill?

every time I apply easi-fill the edges of the paint keep bubbling. What started off as just a little patch is getting bigger and bigger very time it bubbles.

Any ideas? Anything I can apply before using the easi-fill?

Thats a nuisance, probably original coats were applied to polished /fatty plaster, though sometimes the bubbles will dissapear during drying. Have you tried leaving them till the filler is all dry?

Goood kuck

I did let the easi-fill dry but ended up with bubbles even after a days drying. I've then been re scraping and sanding down. Will use some oil based base undercoat and see how that goes.

(Guessing I should have really made all the walls stable with something before doing any of the filling with easi-fill)

I have been think and have another question about the types of paint to use.

Once I've managed to easi-fill and sand down all the walls without bubbling is there any benefit to using a mist coat of white contract matt paint then 2 coasts vinyl matt paint VS just doing a mist coat with vinyl matt paint and then another 2 coats of vinyl matt paint?

I know u need to use contract matt on newly plastered wall but in my case is there any benefit.

Am going to go with Dulux trade paints either way.

Also this might be a silly question but would using a primer instead of or before the mist coat be beneficial at all? Also if so what kind of primer?

Just for reference I'm going to try painting without lining the walls. Not the best option I know but the finish doesn't have to be perfect.

Did you clean off the old paste when you stripped??
Seems you got unstable varying degrees of subtrates i.e old plaster, fillers, paints. etc. I would at this stage seriously consider lining.. but if you want to paint then::::
1) scrape/ sand any loose paintoff (presuming you have cleaned paste off)
2) the next bit can be expensive as I reckon a coat of primer sealer will condition your walls for further filling so get some zinnsser 123,thin down a little and apply overall, allow to dry, http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=11
Normally I would give a thinned coat of matt emulsion vinyl will do (thinned)
3) now use the easyfill, allow to dry.
4) touch prime the easyfill with the zinnsser. Thinnish
5) Now you have a nice base to start painting ( the easy bit) :LOL:
goood luck

thanks for your reply. As 90% of the easi-filling and sandinig down has already been done i think its now just a matter of whether or not to spot prime the parts which have been easi-filled or just go right on with a mist coat. And also if to use contract non vinyl or vinyl paint. I know priming the hole wall before filling would have been better but besides the bit that started bubbling and rest of the wall seem sound. Only time will tell i guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back