Damp problem and ceramic tube technology

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old (200 year) annex that i am renovating for myself and have an internal wall that is damp as there is no damp course. I am thinking of rendering it though this will only 'lock in' the damp and it will overtime come through again i would assume. I have come across a company that uses a ceramic tube technology that they claim draws the damp out...called www.hydrotek.co.uk
Is anyone aware of this approach and if it works?
Thanks in advance for any assistance

Sponsored Links
They've been pretty much discredited.

The BRE guide to "Understanding Dampness" refers to a BRE report from 1930 which found them to have no useful effect in controlling rising damp. I've certainly seen a few properties myself in which they were failing to control dampness.

The most accurate description of this and its many variants is that is is nonsense based on psuedo-science.

Thanks for your feedback and comments. This doesn't suprise me as it all seems too easy to be true, but how do companies who sell this sort of product get away with it!
I shall therefore render the area which is damp (rising) and see what happens! The BCO said this may help. In my opinion it may keep it back but the damp will come through again. It is on a party wall in an old 200 year annex. There is no foundation/dpc on this wall. The internal part has had a bed of concrete put down and the external walls are very thick and not damp. Its just one internal wall that sits literally on the ground that absorbs moisture. My neighbour has had the other side of the wall in his annex rendered with the effect of it coming through my side wherefrom it can escape! I don't see an easy solution!

Sponsored Links
Unless you re-render to full ceiling height the damp will probably rise up over the render. You really need to do something to stop the damp rising - i.e. a new dpc of some sort. Options would include:

1) Chase out mortar and insert a new physical DPC - easy for short sections (less than 1 metre), but obviously difficult on a party wall as it might sound a bit drastic to your neighbour.

2) Inject a chemical DPC

3) Inject a damp-proofing cream such as Dryzone (but beware of low-strength creams which don't have much effect at all!).

Option 1 is the best if you can get away with it. Options 2 and 3 will work surprisingly well in 99% of cases although they will probably not give quite the same protection as a physical DPC. All options need to be used in conjunction with replastering. Beware of anyone who tells you they can treat rising damp without replastering!

You probably don't have rising damp, but if you did have it then rendering the wall isn't a solution.

Thanks for your comments which i appreciate. However to test your knowledge more....
There is no DPC...i can see the bricks on soil! (200 year old property)
External walls are deeply embedded into ground and thick so damp is not an issue with them but this wall is internal/shared with next door annex. I cant add a DPC as i would need to take the wall down and neigbour is renting the property and will not wish to share expense or want hassle. My BCO told me i could render it but as you say this is no long term solution and even i, a novice, am suprised they said this! I can show a drawing of the place if it helps and u have time to look...just say..Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back