Worried - Boiler acting strange....advice please!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Wondering if someone could offer a bit of advice as I'm worried about my boiler.

I have two and a half year old house with the original heating system:

Boiler make model:

IDEAL Classic/SE9FF

The system is one of those whereby I have a bolier unit downstairs and a storage tank for hot water. (no idea what they call these)

I know the boiler will probably be due a service soon as I've been in the house for just under a year (I've no idea of the previous occupants history with the system or if they had it serviced at all)

Now to the issue:

Just recently, the boiler takes about 2-3 attempts (sometimes 4) attempts to spark up when the thermostat kicks in. I hear the click of the thermostat and then the ignition of the gas (that 'whoomph') but then it does the same thing (up to four times sometimes) ?? Sometimes it can happen mid way through the boiler working!! It clicks and I hear the ignition of the gas - but it seems like it was already running so why ignite in that way??

This is the central heating by the way..I've no idea if it does the same when the water kicks in at around 4am as I'm asleep :)

I just wanted to ask you fellas in the know if this seems like a serious problem? The heating is all working fine at the moment apart from this weird ignition behaviour.

As I said above, I know the system is due a service, but I just want to arm myself with some info incase I get stung by some unscrupulous 'Rogue Trader'. I'm a single bloke living on my own and money is tight but I have no quibble forking out for repairs if justified.

Cheers for any responses - they would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Blocked pilot light.

Get it checked out by a competent engineer.

Thanks for the reply mate.

Would this be covered by a boiler service?

Could this be due to dust? I have just this week been doing a re-tile of the bathroom and the house was full of the stuff due to scraping up the old adhesive off the floor?? I mean, it was like a covering of snow in some parts of the house

:(

Cheers again mate.

No, this is a room sealed appliance and takes the combustion air from outside so should not be affected by internal works, its just a bit dirt in the gas.

A service and repair would be better.

I hate going to a service and when ask how everything is being told 'I actually have a problem with.... '

Sponsored Links
No, this is a room sealed appliance and takes the combustion air from outside so should not be affected by internal works, its just a bit dirt in the gas.

A service and repair would be better.

I hate going to a service and when ask how everything is being told 'I actually have a problem with.... '

Thanks again for your responses.

Any ideas what I should be looking to pay to get a service and a repair on this thing? I know this will vary from region to region...but I'm just after a ball park.

Cheers mate (I'll stop asking questions now)

:D

I hate going to a service and when ask how everything is being told 'I actually have a problem with....

Well, Superdupergasman, you know the score don't you?

For some reason, I think punters imagine they are going to save money if they call an engineer out to 'service' their broken down boiler, rather than being honest and asking him to repair it.

If I had a £ for every time............................you know what I mean!

I hate going to a service and when ask how everything is being told 'I actually have a problem with....

Well, Superdupergasman, you know the score don't you?

For some reason, I think punters imagine they are going to save money if they call an engineer out to 'service' their broken down boiler, rather than being honest and asking him to repair it.

If I had a £ for every time............................you know what I mean!

Yeah, I know exactly where you're coming from Mark.neale.

Well...I'm not trying to con anyone (Just for the record)

Can someone give me a ballpark figure for getting a service for my boiler and a repair on my blocked pilot light (If that is indeed the problem)??

What kind of price would 'reputable' tradesmen such as yourselves charge for such a job?

Many thanks :LOL:

We charge £84 for diagnosing the fault in London. Any parts are extra and the price includes anything which can be easily fixed.

A service is £55 but they have to wait a week in case its really a repair!

We dont start a service unless the boiler is apparently working!

Tony

Thanks mate. I've just been given the number of guy who is a Corgi (Reputable) got it from an old school mate who MOT'd my car this morning.

Cheers for all your replies lads. :)

Just to clarify, we would still deal with a blocked pilot light as a service at £55 if they had waited the week as that task is part of a service if required.

The higher price for a repair guarantees a rapid response, usually same day when possible.

Tony

Just to clarify, we would still deal with a blocked pilot light as a service at £55 if they had waited the week as that task is part of a service if required.

The higher price for a repair guarantees a rapid response, usually same day when possible.

Tony

That sounds very reasonable, Tony. When I actually ring this guy, I'll tell him in advance of the issue so I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes.

The problem isnt stopping the boiler working at all...its just that I've noticed a slight change in the way its igniting lately.

Does the company you work for have a branch in the North East?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back