Shower size for 6mm cable?

Sponsored Links
Depends on how long the cable run is, if its clipped direct to the wall, enclosed in a wall or enclosed in insulation and what MCB/fuse the cable is connected to at the CU.

Cable total length is around 18 feet. It is clipped to the wall from the C/U and then runs under the floor, before dropping down into a downstairs bathroom. The MCB is 42A.

I wouldn't advise going any bigger than 7.5kW, even then the 42A MCB you have installed in your C/U is VERY borderline in terms of protecting the 6mm2 cable you have installed.

If its a really powerfull shower you are considering, the cable route sounds pretty easy, why not uprgade it to 10mm2 which will give you much more scope.

Sponsored Links
45A MCB protecting a 6mm2 cable, not good.

Ah, but is overload protection actually required for a purely resistive load? (See 433.3, item (ii))

If the fault protection is adequate, this arrangement may be acceptable. (Not preferred, not ideal, not what is generally taught... but 'acceptable' to the regs.)

This installation was done just before we moved into the house back in 1999. What size MCB is recommended to protect a 6mm feed to a shower?

Well I've just had a proper look and........... the shower (45A MCB) is fed by a 10mm cable. The 6mm cable supplys a cooker socket and is protected by a 32A MCB.

So..... 45A MCB, 10mm cable, will I be okay to use a 9kW shower?

10mm cable will support a 9kW shower, as long as no part of the cable is buried deep in thermal insulation.

For a 9kW shower you'd be better with a 40mm MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back