Dampness and mildew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a toilet room built on the side of my hose, and this has a concrete roof. The walls are bare brick.

The room suffers from significant condensation, and mildew is constantly appearing. Is there a cure for this? I would like to tidy the room up using plasterboard on the walls and ceiling, but don't want to create more problems. Is there any treatment I can use first? (or should I forget about it.....)

Del

Sponsored Links
You need a combination of less cold/moist air and more dry/warm air.

Ways of achieving this are:

1. Line the walls to reduce the area of cold surfaces.
2. Increase ventilation to remove moist air.
3. Increase air temperature to increase evaporation from cold surfaces.

Does the room have an extractor fan?

Thanks for that - it helps.

There is no extraction and the room is generally shut off for das if not weeks at a time.

Putting a small radiator in mightbe the best solution.

Sponsored Links
This sounds like a typical cold 'outhouse' type toilet.

Plasterboard and constant background ventilation may help, but I would not bother with any heating - the rad will have to be on more or less constantly and the air temperature kept stable and free flowing. This may not be achievable or practical.

With these cold toilets, I find that the best thing to do is to tile all the walls and use a specific kitchen/bathroom paint for the ceiling. Then it's easy to wipe any mould that appears. The cistern is going to be the major producer of condensation and humidity, and its very hard to stop it, so the only practical solution is to make it easy to deal with when mould starts to appear

Don't forget to treat all existing mould with a fungicide before you start any of the work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back