reducing window height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a new kitchen. I need to reduce the height of a wooden casement window. Is it possible to add a deeper horizontal glazing bar so that the kitchen worktop sits below the top it. I need to add 3" to existing one.
Or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a new window .

Sponsored Links
Anything is possible but replacing the glazing bar, removing & fitting new glass etc. it hardly seems worth the effort; I would fit a new window. You should give some thought as to how you’re going to raise the sill height internally without it looking rather strange from the outside; something that looks like a total bodge will only serve to devalue your property!

could you not just add reflective or black film to the inside off the window to stop you seeing through from the outside and maintain the symmetry of the outside

thats assuming i have understood the question ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Or drop a piece of timber/board down and put a nice finish on it (tiles perhaps) and keep a couple of house plants/ornaments in the void.

Thanks for the response. it has given me food for thought. We are in a conservation area, despite that ours is the only house of 4 built in the 1920's with the original windows left . So I would feel guilty if I put in a new window

I have asked for 2 Quotes for new and am seeing a joiner at the end of the week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back