3 sets of lights and a 3 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Lads need your help really as im about to do the lighting in a large room for my girlfriend and as an alarm engineer really need a spark 2 put me right , basically im starting from scratch and want to put in 3 rows of 4 spot lights and a 3 gang switch so that u can switch on a row at a time , Any help would be much appreciated cheers

Sponsored Links
If you look in the wiki at the top of the forum there are some wiring diagrams for lights.
One way to do it would be to run a live and neutral to the switch, connector block the neutral. Live to all the commons looped then run a wire from each of the switches and a neutral to each light fitting. All the earths together into a block and tailed to the back box if req'd.

cheers for quick response I was also thinking of running the live and neutral to the switch I understand what your saying so basically have 3 1.5 t&e's then leaving the switch and going to each row of d/lights and looping each row of d/lights together ? im familiar with junction boxes on that side of it if needed just had a read of a few posts on here and people were using 3 core and earth for 2 lights on a 2 gang switch and it confused me or maybe i was reading it wrong

To be honest I may just put in 3 main lights i.e the ones with 4 of the low voltage halogens on them this may make the job a lot easier and would still give adaquate light to the large room

Sponsored Links
I was meaning having 4 lots of twin and earth at the switch, one supply and one cable to each light. Only prob with junction boxes is they need to be in an accessable location, if you put the terminations in the back of the switch this isn't a concern. Also makes it easier at the light as you only have one twin and earth to contend with instead of a mass of wires. Only downside is you will probably need to fit a 1" back box.

Yeah but thats no problem yeah I know you meant 4 sets of 1.5 in the swicth thats cool ok mate cheers for that I understand fully what 2 do now nice one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back