Kitchen wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in a new kitchen and am running cables for a kitchen ring main. However will my oven (A Siemens HB56M550B) be ok on a 13A ring main? If not, will I have to run a separate oven cable from the consumer unit?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

PS. If this post appears twice - sorry! Tried pressing the SUBMIT button before and nothing happened???

Sponsored Links
I'm putting in a new kitchen and am running cables for a kitchen ring main.
Not notifying, or unaware that you are supposed to?

However will my oven (A Siemens HB56M550B) be ok on a 13A ring main? If not, will I have to run a separate oven cable from the consumer unit?
crystal_ball_LG.jpg

A quick search on the web shows this to be a double oven requiring to be hard wired in. What is the power rating for this cooker?

Of course you know about the Part P implications?

I was unaware. So ban all sheds, please tell me how to notify. It would be appreciated.

However will my oven (A Siemens HB56M550B) be ok on a 13A ring main? If not, will I have to run a separate oven cable from the consumer unit?
crystal_ball_LG.jpg

Sponsored Links
A quick search on the web shows this to be a double oven requiring to be hard wired in. What is the power rating for this cooker?

Don't know the power rating. I'll find out. What is the most Wattage a 13A ring can take?

Of course you know about the Part P implications?

A. Next Tuesday, half a crown and thruppence.

Find out the power rating(s) for the cooker.

ban-all-sheds & THRIPSTER said:
Twice said:
His replies embedded in other people's quotes, making them hard to spot. Why did he not use Preview, or edit his posts after seeing they were wrong?
:rolleyes:

I was unaware. So ban all sheds, please tell me how to notify. It would be appreciated.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

Don't know the power rating. I'll find out. What is the most Wattage a 13A ring can take?
Is 13 x 230 too hard for you?

BTW - "13A ring"??

Given the scrutiny your work will be under if you notify, are you sure you're up to this? :confused:

thank you for your patience. I'm trying to get to grips with this site. Haven't been a net geezer for too long so please bear with me when it comes to laying questions out in the right order etc. Clearly banal sheds takes the forum rules very seriously and has no time for DIYnot virgins like myself, but apologies for incorrectly posting posts.

13x230 is easy when you know the formula the guy is not a spark
he is asking advice help him or get of his back how long have you
been doing the job its the guys first time go easy

13x30 is easy when you know the formula the guy is not a spark
Yes, but....
He's already at the point of installing a brand new circuit, and he knows so little about electrics that even calculating W = V x A is beyond him?

It's not right, is it....

i no its not right but he has now come for advice i just think if you shoot him down in flames other people will be read this and think twice about
asking advice your point is valid he should have got a spark in or got more
advice before starting so now its down to damage limitation i am only saying
go easy

I'm putting in a new kitchen and am running cables for a kitchen ring main. However will my oven (A Siemens HB56M550B) be ok on a 13A ring main? If not, will I have to run a separate oven cable from the consumer unit?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

To summarise what has been said in the other posts to make it easy to read.
The Oven will not be able to run on a 13A Socket as being a double oven it will require more power and thus will require a separate circuit from your Consumer Unit.

However, under Part P of the building regulations that you will find lots of details from the link posted earlier, the work you are looking to undertake is covered. This means that you will either have to notify your local building authority at least 48 hours before commencing any work, submitting full details of what you intend to do, along with paying the relevant fee. Assuming that you complete the work to a satisfactory standard, they will issue you a certificate. The only other alternative is to retain the services of an electrician who is registered under one of the competent person schemes. They are able to certify their own work and issue you with a certificate. Failure to do one of the above can make it very difficult to sell your property as electricians will not sign off someone else's work, as with electrics, so much of the installation is hidden in walls and under floorboards.

It is I believe, the opinion of the very experienced contributors to this forum that the questions that you asked suggests a lack of experience of electrics and that the job would be beyond your DIY ability level. Remember electricity kills and a bad installation could at worst kill you and your entire family. It is very important that the job is done properly to the required standard. The recommendation is that you contact some local electricians and obtain quotes for the work to be done. If you are trying to keep costs down, you might be able to negotiate with the electricians to do the donkey work yourself, i.e. Chasing out walls, fitting back boxes, lifting floorboards etc, possibly even pulling the cable although not all will agree to this as they want to do all the cable work themselves to certify it.

That said. If you really do want to do the work yourself, you can. If you want advice from here, I would recommend that you take it slowly, plan carefully, ask questions. Be very sure of what you are doing, the risks and process you need to go through before you even contemplate picking up a screwdriver. This site is here to help DIYers like yourself, but you will have to be prepared to take it slowly to do it right and end up with a quality job. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back