Nauseaous smell - Washer Dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anyone can please help me as I am getting really frustrated.

At the weekend, I washed a blanket in my washer dryer. Stupidly, I dried it as well, without checking the label which says "do not tumble dry."

The blanket was fine but this really strong solvent-type smell was in the dryer afterwards. I can only describe it as being like petrol but more of a strong glue/dry cleaning fluid type smell. It made me feel sick and dizzy and I was really quite concerned that this explosive-smelling mixture could have blown up ?!

Health problems aside, I can't get rid of this now in the washer dryer. I have tried bleach on a 90 degree cycle, dishwasher powder on a 90 degree cycle but to no avail.......everything is now coming out of the machine with this solvent smell, worse if it is dried.

I know I should not have tumble dried it but it was just a genuine over-sight. I think going to complain to the shop because there must be something in the fabric in the form of a colour-fastener or other solvent that has reacted badly with the heat. (Made in China also and I know that in other countries, they are sometimes not as strict as they should be on industrial chemicals,) Just because it states on the label "do not tumble dry," is no reason to mean that if it is by mistake then it should cause this type of issue. Afterwards and for the rest of the day I felt like what I can only imagine to having been "sniffing glue" feels like or petrol !

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot

Jamie

Sponsored Links
you have not a leg to sand on, it says do not tumble dry and you did.

the smell will be in the dryer part, i would say it needs a good clean out but you could try running it on cool for a while (nothing else in their, i dont hold much hope though

Im not asking about whether I have a leg to stand on. I am asking about how to get rid of it - thank you.

Also, your comment is not actually correct. Just because the instructions say do not tumble dry does not mean that if it is tumble dried, it should cause a chemical release which is possibly dangerous.

It's like saying "im not going to make something fire retardent because I have stuck a sticker on it saying No Naked Flames." That's not a reason to not make something fire retardent because accidents happen.

Constructive responses please, not criticisms.

Thanks

Does the smell linger even when the machine has been standing for a while with the door open? What you describe as a "petrol" smell would seem to indicate some type of volatile substance. If so if you leave it open to the air it Should evaporate and be gone...Other that that i would think you need to pull the thing apart, find the smelly bit and replace it.

I have always hated washer/driers as they are always a trade off between the two and never seem to be as good as seperates...Just my opinion...

Sponsored Links
id be inclined to run the machine thru a full wash cycle,no clothes in obviously but use biological washing powder in there.the enzymes in biological powder are effective at getting rid of most smells,including tom cat pee!,if it can get rid of the smell of that then in theory it should work?

wont work.

the smell has got to be in the dryer part, ie dryer heater or condensor, neither of which are used in washing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back