Screeded bed or individual mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to start laying patio on Monday and still unsure about best method, considering:

1. using machine cut sandstone (horizon slabs from stonemarket) ie. little vartion in thickness and almost like tiles
2. I'm a novice and have heard individual bed is easier!
[url]http://www.pavingexpert.com/c...18b226bd96a2a12a4545227b320;act=ST;f=2;t=5357
[/url]
4. builder who I trust and just did rendering for me reckons screeded
5. stonemarket say lay on individual mortar bed using white cement

any advice? anyone laid these flags before?

Sponsored Links
forget the screed, slabs are merely laid on top of this bed and are not wiggled or tapped securely in place.

solid bed the slabs on pliable muck. not runny but not so dry as to prevent workability.

we always tease the mortar up the sides of each slab forming a mortar joint which can be struck or jointed a little later in the day. this way the pointing is connected to the bedding mortar and will not perish.

however, if there is a threat of rain, retro-pointing is the only option.

stonemarket cut stone always vary in thickness, thats why they recomend individually laying them and not screeded beds.

Thanks for response guys. Always great to have pros advice.

I'll go for solid bed, individually bedded but with a slightly drier mix than a normal mortar. What's the reason for the drier mix? Sure I'll discover when I start!

Only thing: the horizon is machined and highly calibrated on all six sides so only 1-2mm difference. Does this make any difference?

Sponsored Links
Also: could you advise me on the order of laying. My scalpings subase has a small fall away from the house. Do I start laying first at the top of the fall or start at the bottom?

I was thinking of starting with a 'keystone' type method at the bottom of the fall in a certain place where I know I need whole slabs to work a particular corner. This will give me uncut stone for a large stretch until I hit the edges, if you see what I mean.

I may well do a dry run today with no mortar, to check the best formation.

Any advice appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back