Volvo V70 power steering

Jim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a whining noise when the power steering is in use.
When I look into the power steering fluid tank after using the car the fluid is all frothy. Any advice please - does it simply mean a fluid change is needed.
The car is 9 years old.
Jim

Sponsored Links
There is a whining noise when the power steering is in use.
When I look into the power steering fluid tank after using the car the fluid is all frothy. Any advice please - does it simply mean a fluid change is needed.
The car is 9 years old.
Jim

Are there any signs of a fluid leak? if not then it sounds like you have air in the system.
Find a smooth surface place two plastic bags, one in front of each wheel then drive forwards onto them.

This reduces the strain on the steering system, while the steering is turned slowly from lock to lock.

Make sure you have the correct fluid to top the reservoir back up (usually automatic transmission fluid) top up as necessary, once all the air is out of the system the fluid should remain air free.

wotan

You need to either tighten the p/s belt or replace it. This would have happened whether you changed the alternator or not. The belt is simply worn and needs tightened up or replaced.
Your car is soon to be nine years old. It is time to replace the belts and hoses if it has not been done already. These rubber items commonly wear out and need to be replaced on occasion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the tips. A job for the weekend !
Jim

No need for a pump. I had one fitted: didn't help. It's stupidly simple to fix. The reservoir which contains the steering fluid should have a spout inside, so the returning fluid goes back below the surface of the fluid that's there. It can get broken (can't imagine how). Then the fluid get aerated, bubbly and bubbles over. Just get a new plastic reservoir..a few quid only.

Back