dodgy electrician?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help.

We have had a qoute from an electrician about creating an electrical point so we can hav an electric oven installed. We have a double socket close by to the proposed position of the oven. The electrician claims we can use one of these sockets and simply plug in the oven, as long as the oven does not exceed 3000 watts. This does not sound right to me from what I have read. (We have not bought the oven yet). :(

Sponsored Links
its true, so long as, as the electrician says it is under 3000 w

That is about right.

The maximum permittable wattage on a 13A socket is 2990W (at 230V - Electricians use the figure 230V rather than 240V or 250V for technical reasons).

However most electric ovens will consume much more than 2990W, so it is all a bit of a red herring. Perhaps the electrician thought that it was a gas oven that needed an electric supply for the fan, ignition, etc. Or perhaps you just picked up on the part of the conversation that sounded wrong.

Either way, the next step would be to determine the maximum wattage (or the maximum current draw ie Amps) of your oven then get back to him. If you are still unsatisfied with his advise, get a second oppinion.

--
Michael

most single ovens are designed to run off a 13A socket

double ovens will almost certainly need a dedicated cuircuit

Sponsored Links
all these oven posts have boosted my confidence on what to do with mine
its fortunate we are all here at the same time
i can now connect using a socket and feel safe :)

laurag said:
Help.

We have had a qoute from an electrician about creating an electrical point so we can hav an electric oven installed. We have a double socket close by to the proposed position of the oven. The electrician claims we can use one of these sockets and simply plug in the oven, as long as the oven does not exceed 3000 watts. This does not sound right to me from what I have read. (We have not bought the oven yet). :(

Your electrician is absolutely right.

your electrician is wrong to sugest that you could install a 3 kw oven to a final socket circuit. think of other equipment in your kitchen/ house on the same final circuit. eg washing / tumble .. alone they could total say 26 amps, leaving only 6 amps for your 13a oven. ring power circuits are not intended to have ovens pluged in as they will use up a high percentage of the capacity.
get your electrician to price for a seperate 20a radial circuit from the consumer unit to the oven.

i beg to differ.

following your theory everything should have its own radial, you have to apply diversity (not every thing on at the same time)

Yes, ideally the oven should be on its own radial, but that wasnt the question.

the question was can a 3kw oven be used on a normal socket, to which the answer is yes

you should also note the origonal post was created nearly 3 months ago

So the answer is maybe.

technically, yes. But it is possible that doing it this way could overload the ring if it is already supplying a lot of power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back