Bath taps, basin taps and cistern running slow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since we had new taps fitted in our bathroom the water seems to be slow running filling the toilet cistern and flowing from taps to fill bath and wash basin. Any ideas why? The guy who did the job is a 'jack of all trades' kind of guy and to be honest he didn't do a very good job of fitting the taps, so I don't want him to come back.......
Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Both hot and cold taps run slow.
We have an sealed system Ideal Icos condensing boiler in the loft. Didn't have a problem before he fitted the taps. The problem with the loo cistern not filling didn't happen before either, not even when someone had just flushed.

Sponsored Links
I know he shut something off in the airing cupboard when he was working but I'm not sure which of the valves to touch. There are two red ones. One is on a cold pipe which runs next to a hot one which is part of the current central heating pipework and the other is one of another two running beside those, but that pipe doesn't feel cold like the other one so may be old - not too sure (our C/H was changed from an old oil fired system 5 years ago and some old pipes were never removed). Hope you follow what I'm on about! Thanks for your help.

hard to say without seeing where the pipes now feed etc.
them red vaves as you say, gate valves are prone to seizing up and the shaft snapping in side the valve this may of happened and the valve is only half open.

the cold one i would say is the feed to the boiler and if thats half shut will restrict the hot water out.
try opening them anti clockwise and see

It wasn't fully open but even now that I've opened it a bit more, things are still the same. I think the other valve must be redundant - couldn't move it anyway! I wondered if the taps were wrong for our pressure but then that wouldn't affect the loo would it?

like you say you have a mains pressure system and the toilet is slow as well.
something is not turned on fully.
did he go in loft to the boiler ?
is the kitchen cold tap slow as well ?
your mains stopcock is usally under kitchen sink did he go there ?

Taps in kitchen work OK and stopcock seems OK. It is a new one - which 'jack of all trades' fitted couple of weeks before the new taps, due to a leak under the sink. It's all very strange and irritating.
I appreciate the time you've spent on this already, but, any other thoughts? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back