Cookers Oven - No Heat or light but clock and Fan works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Modern Cookers single oven suddenly stopped working when it was on.

Funny thing was we had a power cut twice whilst it was on before it stopped working, not sure if it was connected. Nothing tripped and the cooker is on its own supply.

The clock works and the fan operates when the dial is turned to a fan function. I have had the heating element out at the back of the oven (the round one) and the circuit is OK. I have no LED output (edit: apart from the clock) on the front and the oven temp control knob clicks as normal when I turn it.

Any Ideas??

TIA

Sponsored Links
suggestion.

although ours is gas, it will not work unless the clock is set. so when we have a power cut we always set the clock on the cooker. doesnt matter what time its set to, so long as its not showing 00:00

Thanks Breezer, it's not that (unfortunately) :D Wish it was :cry:

Last 2 on the left together and first 1 on the right kicks it in.

It could still be the timer that has gone wrong and is not switching to manual. You could try setting up a cooking time, starting in say 2 minutes time so you can watch to see if the oven LED comes on.

Sponsored Links
It could still be the timer that has gone wrong and is not switching to manual. You could try setting up a cooking time, starting in say 2 minutes time so you can watch to see if the oven LED comes on.

Thanks, I think that was what breezer was getting at. I have switched to manual but still no joy :cry:

No, that's not what I said. There may be a fault with the switching to manual so you could see if the timer is working when in automatic mode.

No, that's not what I said. There may be a fault with the switching to manual so you could see if the timer is working when in automatic mode.

OK, see what your saying. I'll try that tonight. Thanks ;)

If there was a fault with switching to manual would the fan still operate when I select that function?

Are you sure it is the fan oven fan that's coming on? There is often also a cooling fan for the control panel which can sound like the oven fan. I would not expect the oven fan to come on if the oven was disabled by the timer so that is another check you can try, with the fan going, take it out of manual and see if the fan stops. If the thermostat only has 2 spade terminals on the back you could try bypassing it by joining these together and seeing if the oven heats up. Sometimes you have a function switch mounted on the front of the thermostat and you could look at that for signs of burnt areas. The thermostat itself is the part with a capillary tube running to the probe mounted inside the oven cavity. The usual care is required if working on or operating the oven with any panels removed.

Just to tie this one up.

I found the problem, it was this.

IMG_36191.jpg

One of the raised bits was damaged and thus one of the contacts was not being disconnected which resulted in a damaged contact.

Hunting for a replacement now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back