water hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently have this water hammer problem, especially with the washing machine. When the incoming water flow is suddenly shut off by the machine, there is a loud, banging noise. If I turn off the stopcock a bit the noise from washing machine gets a little better, but noise from the taps (when turned off quickly) get worse. If I open the stopcock further the noise from taps disappear but noise from the washing machine worsens. So there is a dilemma.

I called the BG and their engineer siad this is not covered under my plumbing care. He suggested I contact a plumber to either change the stopcock or fit a so-called expansion device near the stopcock. However he did say none of the above is guaranteed to solve the problem completely. I just wonder whether I can ignore the problem -- would water hammer damage the water pipe? Or if I go ahead to have it fixed, is it going to cost me a fortune? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can be a mare to solve try what you have already said process off elimination really . cant think of it ever doing any harm apart from being irritating . Really just got to be systematic rewasher valves ,taps, ballvalves, clip pipes . never fitted an expansion device near stopcock but a dare say they do what is says on the tin . Years ago found one once that was comeing from a neighbours property, they shared the same water service and the concussion was reverberating down the line.

First thing to do is make sure your pipes are properly supported, this is sometimes all you need to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back