Painting new plaster in bathroom in warm weather?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been reading back through old posts to find out what I need to do to start painting our bathroom walls & ceiling after they have been plastered... they are varying in thickness of the plaster between just skimming over walls where the old tiles were, or thicker plaster where the walls were channelled out for the new towel rads.

So I've learnt that a mist coat is matt emulsion watered down with about 20% water, and that once this is dry I should put a coat or two of non-watered down matt emulsion on. Once that is done I can paint in my chosen colour.

My questions are:
1. Have I missed anything or said anything stupid above? :confused:
2. Any particular guidance on what paint to use for the mist coat?
3. Are there any particular issues on painting in this warm weather (it's about 24 degrees C at the moment?) There are two windows in the room and the windows will be open wide, along with other upstairs windows to create a breeze....

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
1. Have I missed anything or said anything stupid above? 2. Any particular guidance on what paint to use for the mist coat?

No you seem to have it more or less sussed...you will need two coats over the mist coat..use contract (non vinyl matt) for the mist...its cheaper and rubs down easier than vinyl matt...dont rub down before you do the mist coat..youll scratch the plaster.

3. Are there any particular issues on painting in this warm weather (it's about 24 degrees C at the moment?) There are two windows in the room and the windows will be open wide, along with other upstairs windows to create a breeze....

Both can cause you problems..worse still if its a combination of the two..
It wont really matter too much for the mist coat of the second one...but id pick a coolish day for the final coat keep the windows closed while your putting it on if thats possible.

1. Have I missed anything or said anything stupid above? 2. Any particular guidance on what paint to use for the mist coat?

No you seem to have it more or less sussed...you will need two coats over the mist coat..use contract (non vinyl matt) for the mist...its cheaper and rubs down easier than vinyl matt...dont rub down before you do the mist coat..youll scratch the plaster.

Thanks for your reply and sorry to be dim, but I'm getting a bit confused, I thought a trade matt emulsion would be what I need, but looking in my DIY book it says that these are vinyl, so either I find something in my DIY shop that says "contract paint" or do I need something like one of the new plaster paints, or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick? Alternatively I can play dim and just ask in my local dulux decorator centre (which I've never bothered going to before)

Both can cause you problems..worse still if its a combination of the two..
It wont really matter too much for the mist coat of the second one...but id pick a coolish day for the final coat keep the windows closed while your putting it on if thats possible.

Thanks, at least I can get the first couple of coats on before too long, and then hope for a coolish day :)

Thanks for your reply and sorry to be dim, but I'm getting a bit confused, I thought a trade matt emulsion would be what I need, but looking in my DIY book it says that these are vinyl, so either I find something in my DIY shop that says "contract paint" or do I need something like one of the new plaster paints, or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick? Alternatively I can play dim and just ask in my local dulux decorator centre (which I've never bothered going to before)

If you have a dulux centre nearby pop in and ask for a can of white 'supermatt' or the gliddens equivelent.

DIY books dont tend to go into much depth about these things...but as a general rule all the paint companies make them...crown is called covermatt....Mac Phersons is Eclipse...Dulux...supermatt...Jonstones jonmat (i think)...leyland leytex (i think)

Dont ever buy paint for new plaster..its a total rip off...its the same stuff as non vinyl but in a nice tin and three times the price normally.

Sponsored Links
Dont ever buy paint for new plaster..its a total rip off...its the same stuff as non vinyl but in a nice tin and three times the price normally.

thanks for the reply, that's what I'll do, and that's what I thought about the new plaster paint, they are just playing on those of us who don't know what we are doing :D

thanks for the reply, that's what I'll do, and that's what I thought about the new plaster paint, they are just playing on those of us who don't know what we are doing :D

Yeh I feel sorry for Growler and people like yourselves sometimes...

:evil:

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back