Wiring a humidistat Bathroom extractor fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a humididstat fan to install from scratch.
The fan has a live, neutral and switched live terminal.
I wondered if i could bring a live and neutral direct from a lighting circuit, via a fan isolator switch(positioned outside the bathroom) straight into the fan, removing the need for a switched live.

The idea being the fan would come on when needed(as humidity increased) working independently of the lights.

I also need to know wether I need to include a 3amp switchable spur, if i'm using a fan isolator switch, if so should this be fitted between the fan and iso switch or iso switch and existing light circuit?

All advice welcomed, as long as it's good advice.

Sponsored Links
Yes, that should work fine.
You don't need a fused spur as you're connecting to a lighting circuit which should be protected by a 5, 6 or 10A device. This is assuming the cable you're using is adequate.

never seen one, but you may have to link the live to switched live in order for it to work.

never seen one, but you may have to link the live to switched live in order for it to work.

If you do that the fan will probably run continuously, 24-7.
The humidistat will switch the fan on automatically when humidity rises as it's fed from the permanent live.
The switched live is for connection to the bathroom light so the fan turns on and off (with timer).

Sponsored Links
fine, i did not take any offence, i was thinking the other way round, it wont (may not) work unless the lights are on, to start it, then the humidistat bit makes it over run

No worries Breezer :)
I've fitted Vent Axia humidistat fans with overrun timers and they seem to operate independent of the switched live. Great for basement conversions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back