Hot tub+Gazebo, planning permission? (moved from gardening)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Anyone able to comment. I've got really bad neighbours who are very green with Jealousy as we've borrowed the money to put a first floor extension on the house, then a new drive way, decking and then a nice new Hot tub. The latter has been installed for a week now. I read around and asked the supplier if I needed planning permission. Absolutely every thing I've read states permission is not required as it is a temporary building (ala shed/green house etc). The stupid thing is, I didn't check with the Fareham Borough Council. This morning (why a saturday when they aren't there? Just to stress us?), we received a letter stating they've been made aware of a building that has been erected at the rear of the property and that they have no record of planning permission. They are of the opinion that it is likely to require planning consent. Any one know if this is likely? Obviously I'll talk to them on Monday because if I do, I've made the mistake. I know this notification has come from the neighbours, so I'm not sure what they've told the council. Does a Gazebo on top of a tub require permission? Reading their site, they state if it is under 10m3 then it will be permittable (which it is 2.4m x 2.1m x 3m)......

Any comments may help or add to the worry!!!

Thanks

Carl

Sponsored Links
like you carl

i dont think you need planning permision for a temporary structure
i dont know if it makes any diffirence or whether its attached to the house

i suspect the have overegged the description to the council
trying to make it seem bigger than what it is

theyve probbably given the imppresion that its 20m square
and made of bricks

after all they havent seen it

big all

Not sure if I read this right regarding first floor extension ?

Don't know if you're asking 1 or 2 question ? but some info here may help you.

Generally speaking depending on type of house, terrace, semi or detached house.

Normally you don't need planning permission up to 70 cubic metre or 15% the volume of your property providing you follow the building regulation but this can differ in difference area. You may have to dig down the side of the footing for inspection etc.

Does a Gazebo on top of a tub require permission?
Providing, the same as shed you haven't taken up more than 50% of your garden area and must 5m away from the back of your property. The height of the roof is no more than 3m high for flat roof or 4m high for a pitch roof.

Sponsored Links
Ah, ok. That may be a problem the tub/gazebo is approximately 2-3m from house. It's got a pitched roof reaching max 3-4m. It's not further from the house as we didn't want at end of garden to annoy neighbours etc. Sounds as if we need to move it that way to annoy them more.

The 1st floor extension all went through the usual planning approval mechanism. I asked FBC whether a Tub required planning, but they said no. However, I didn't think to mention the gazebo on top, just assumed this was the norm (duh!!).

Sorry, I think I was a bit misleading. The Hot tub does not have to be 5m away from your back wall, it can even go right against your property wall if you wish and mustn't be near the boiler flue outlet. The gazebo I'm not too sure about but it is normally straight forward just by putting in planning permission (only if they say it need planning permission) then your neighbour must have a very good reason to object. You will find 99% of the time the planning department will be tend to be on your side, if not then they must give you a good reason why.

Masona,

Thanks for your last response. That has really given me hope. I've been concerned about the 5m away from back of house. To be honest, I really can't see the problem and that the installation guys and the decking guy didn't point out any issues with having the tub their. Unfortunately, I have to deal with the council for everything I do. It's funny, I've noticed today that the neighbour has raised a section of their 6ft wall to three brick levels higher. I'm sure there is a 6ft ruling on a wall. Looks extremely dangerous, I'll have to point out to council inspector. I'll wait to see what he says and then post a round up. Thanks for your time.

speedco said:
I've noticed today that the neighbour has raised a section of their 6ft wall to three brick levels higher. I'm sure there is a 6ft ruling on a wall.
If I remember rightly the 6' fence or wall is correct unless is facing the road highway which can be 7'.

Well, inspector visited this morning. He has stated I have to put planning permission in. The problem I have is that it's within 5m of the house and its on raised decking (0.3m). The total height is 2.9m high, and that means when you step into tub you over look neighbours property. I could lower the deck or move the tub to the end of the garden (probably cost another £500-£800 to sort electrics and move it [ie dismantle and remanted at other point]. Not good news. Have to see how it pans out.

o.3m =1ft eye hight for six foot person=1.68 +0.3=1.98 or 6ft 6

are they being picky do you think :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back