Toilet seat doesn't stay up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet seat doesn't stay up and keeps falling down. As a bloke this is incredibly annoying when I want to take a leak - also a pain when cleaning the cistern!!

Some mates have told me that it has not been plumbed correctly and others that it is because the floor is not quite even. A couple of days ago a mate said it was because of the toilet seat itself and that it is designed for ladies. Before I go out and buy a new one does anyone here have any further ideas or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
you have 2 main options really.

1--sit down

2--buy one that doesnt fall down

i hope this helps :p

If you have a low level cistern and pan, not a close coupled one the pan is probably set to far back not allowing seat to stay up, or sometimes some seat furniture/hinges can be fitted the wrong way around which gives this problem.

If you have a low level cistern and pan, not a close coupled one the pan is probably set to far back not allowing seat to stay up, or sometimes some seat furniture/hinges can be fitted the wrong way around which gives this problem.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the difference between a low level cistern and a close coupled one?

Sponsored Links
Low level is a cistern with a flush pipe between it and the pan
Close coupled the cistern seats on the pan.

loosen the nuts under the top of the pan back section and slide the hinges forwards a bit.

Buy one of those posh ones where it settles slowly and gently - and pee quickly

As has been said, you might have the pan too near the wall.

If a c/c suite, then you have the wrong seat for the pan, or it's installed incorrectly.

If you post a photo of the seat fixings then 'we' can advise further.

Use the polish method ..........................................................................
Cut a piece of 2" x 2" slightly bigger than the width of the bathroom, lift the seat and jam the wood in place thus keeping the seat up, when finished remove wood. Simple. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

This is known as a c**k chopper. Can you turn the mounts around to bring the hinge farther from the cistern?

At my age I'm grateful to grab any chance for a nice sit down. Solves the problem :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back