Light fitting - What to do with the loop wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to find the answer to my question prior to creating a new topic but couldn't.

I successfully put up a new light fitting in my front room. When trying to put up an identical fitting in the hall I have come unstuck.

The Live, Neutral and Earth wires are fine, I know how to connect these. The problem is the light fitting only has three ports for Live, Neutral and Earth. (See pic) http://i28.tinypic.com/v7dpap.jpg. There is nowhere to connect the 2 red loops wires that are currently connected to the existing ceiling rose.

In order to fit the new fitting I need to remove the existing ceiling rose otherwise it wont fit. Would it be a case of simply buying a connecting strip with 4 ports and putting those 2 loops wires in the spare one? Or am I clutching at straws?

If anyone could help me with what to do with the 2 loop wires before I have to get a sparkie in, that would be appreciated.

Cheers ;)

Sponsored Links
Would it be a case of simply buying a connecting strip with 4 ports and putting those 2 loops wires in the spare one? Or am I clutching at straws?

youve got it :D

Indeed I found the same issue yesterday. Then I threw caution to the wind (having taken down te old one without labeling it as to which wire went where.. I think the thing to do is think of it in terms of how it works then it is not that dificult....Essentially you have a mains wire from the electric supply on that circuit.. You then want it in series with other lights after it on the same circuit So you will want Live and negative in and live and negative out.. The Earth should not carry current at all so of the 9 wires the earth from all three will be slpiced together and attaced to a single terminal (normally seperate on teh ceiling rose.. OK... so we have 3 for the earth done... Then negative (blue / black on old wiring) in ad out.. That's 5 of them.. Now you will want the switch to work te light and this is placed on the live normally (interesting as in reality electricity actually goes from -ve to positive as it is the flow of electrons which are -ve).. Anyway - so for the switch to work the live wire powering te bulb needs to come from the mains cable coming from the switch.... The interesting thing is identifying this when you are doing it in a ceiling for instance when the cables are running above the plaster of the ceiling so out of sight.. Now if this has been done well this cable should have some sort of a jacket on it... Not in my case unfortunately.. So as a rule always wen you are going to do this I would label the cales and how they are fitted.. I wish I had.. So.. Back to it.. The live / negative needs to come from the switch cable... You also need one live from the actual electricity as otherwise wen you turn the switch there will be no current in the circuit. It is easy to understand terminals into one.. if you get a bit of paper and draw it on paper I think. I wish I knew how to attach a diagram showin how easy this is to this post. Essentially you need the switch merely to break the sircuit or connect it on the live. SO if you look at it in the way of the live from the electricity in going to the live on the switch and the negative on te switch being the live back to the ceiling rose it will create the circuit or break it. Modern ceiling roses have enough terminals for one wire per terminal. Unfortunately mine is 1 short so I have to put two into one. I did this last night as light was fading and although on assembly all lights worked switch does not turn off light. So I have a 50% chance as there are two other live wires) as to which is the right cable and will do this today. Hope to be here tomorrow.. If not I will get an electritian.. Wiring still the old black /red in ceiling. [/code]

Sponsored Links
alphabet soup
I haven't read what you wrote James, but you need to slow down and use spaces.

Like this.

People hate reading long bits of text without a gap.

This is why I didn't read it.

What I did read, however, made no sense, things about wiring in series, negative wires. On domestic mains wiring, we NEVER wire anything in series, and we dont refer to anything as negative. Its neutral. Negative is a DC term. Householdd electricity is AC.

Cool. I was just trying to help. /no I am not an expert but that is why I posted the link with the perfect picture that at least for mr made the whole task simple. Will refrain from posting if it is of no use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back