Velux on roof with pitch at 13 degrees not 15

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We want to install a Velux but I know that you should only install at minimum of 15 degrees. Our roof is 13 degrees. What are the risks I'm taking with a lower pitch? If flashing is installed well, will it matter?

Any guidance appreciated, particularly if someone has taken the risk of putting one in!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The risk you run is that it will very likely leak even if the fashing is `installed well'.

If you really need an openable window you'll need a Velux flat roof window.

If you just need the light it would be worth looking into sun-pipes.

I wonder how accurate the 15 degrees stated by Velux is?

Bearing in mind the fact that when using rough sawn timber, it can be very easy to be out by a couple of degrees or so when forming the rafter pitch.

So, I would presume that Velux would allow for this, and quote a figure that is a little above the absolute minimum.

Likewise, is the OP's roof really 13 degrees or actually 14 or close to 15? Or even 11 :eek:

Bearing in mind the fact that when using rough sawn timber, it can be very easy to be out by a couple of degrees or so when forming the rafter pitch.
ah, come on now woodster, this may apply to a single element but generally the roof will turn out at the correct pitch provided there are more than 3 rafters that is. :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responses.

The window is just to put on an extension into the kitchen and I don't need it to open. I don't need a sunpipe as have taken suspended ceiling out. Where's the best place to buy a skylight I could get installed? The flat roof system looks a bit ugly so would be keen on just a window I couldn't open.

May check pitch but pretty sure is 13 degrees

....generally the roof will turn out at the correct pitch provided there are more than 3 rafters that is. :eek: :LOL:

Yes probably.

But its very easy to be 1 or 2 degrees out over a short span, and with rough sawn timber it doesn't help.

You can wedge a corner of the rooflight up to get the casement to open smoothly and it can then be 1 or 2 degrees different to the roof

So, in Velux's calculations is it 15, 14.99, 14.5 or 14 degrees when the water starts getting in? They must have made some allowance

Hi there. It may be a little late but have a look at the wedge style flashing with Roto Roof windows. This is ideal for this kind of situation as it tilts the window so it is greater than 15 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back