painting disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just started painting my kitchen after lots of prepping of walls. Previous paint was peeling off so I have bare plaster to paint on to. I used a base coat of B&Q value silk emulsion (given to me) which was very thin so I didn't bother watering down. It was also very gluey - a bit like watered down pva. Just tried to put on my dulux kitchen paint and as I painted it on, it painted itself off again making the paint go very gluey again and leaving lumpy bits on the wall. So I have stopped, scraped off as much paint as I can and have no idea what to do next! Please help!

Sponsored Links
Hi anniebee, welcome to the forum :)

Is the existing paint already silk?

Could be that the B&Q paint has gone off, but you would be better off, painting the bare bits of plaster with a thinnish matt paint first.
Silk really should not be used on bare plaster.

I find also that Kitchen and bathroom paint is the same, its better over a mat paint.

Hi anniebee, welcome to the forum :)

Is the existing paint already silk?

Could be that the B&Q paint has gone off, but you would be better off, painting the bare bits of plaster with a thinnish matt paint first.
Silk really should not be used on bare plaster.

I find also that Kitchen and bathroom paint is the same, its better over a mat paint.

Indeed...I hate that stuff..its like glue to put on and Dulux's clever marketing people have led us to beleive its the only thing you can put in kitchens and bathrooms..it isnt.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys
I sanded down the silk sheen and persisted with the gluey paint. I'm just weighing up whether to do a second coat in Johnstone's aqua eggshell paint or have another morning being frustrated!
I certainly learnt something there.
Any recommendations for what is good to use in kitchens and bathrooms would be very welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back