AECV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I went to a job the other day to service a fire, its in a large house that has been turned into flats, this flat is on the ground floor just off the foyer, the gas meter also serves 2 or 3 of the flats upstairs and is situated just inside the front door in a cupboard.

I noticed there wasn't an AECV in the flat and automatically assumed it needed one as it was a multi dwelling, but being so close to the meter, I thought I'd check the corgi book, it says that if the dwelling is less than 6m from the meter then you don't need an AECV.

It doesn't however say where you take the measurement from, is it from the nearest point of the flat to the meter or from the front door of the flat?
I measured from the front door to the meter, it was 5.9m.
Be interesting to find out what you think.

Cheers

Mick

Sponsored Links
Door I'd have thought.

If a meter supplies more than one dwelling though there should be an isolating valve for each one.

I would think the measurement was from the door to the premisses as it would be deemed 6m is the maximum safe distance a person should travel to isolate the gas in an emergency.

But what if the flat is 6m long with the meter on the front and the door towards the back and the person is sat in an armchair Looking out the front window when they smell gas? They have a 12m walk to the ECV.

And what if they only had one leg and walked with a limp?

Er! I dunno.

You're right in what you're saying there isn't a clear indication as to where you take the measurement but all tennants should have access to the ECV and i believe individual flats should have an AECV fitted irespective of distance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back