Removing layers of paint over front door steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our front door is on a raised ground floor. The steps (seven of them) are covered in grey paint which has been poorly applied (over red paint) and is chipping away and generally looking a bit of a mess.

Underneath it's a sand/cement finish - gawd knows how old (house is 1850s) and I either want to:
a) return it to that original finish and leave as it is
b) return it to a state where I can paint it (well)

Anyone any experience of this? I'm wondering whether I need a high pressure washer or something more serious like a sandblaster.

Or maybe, just some Nitromors and elbow grease! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A pressure washer won't shift it and nitromorse is likely to ingrain the residue into the stone. Sandblasting is the only real way to do it.

Thanks. What kind of company offers that service typically? Or can I hire the tools and do it myself?

Anyone any experience?

You can hire them but you have to kit up pretty well for H&S reasons.

Sponsored Links
And your neighbours will love you for the dust....LOL It can also take off the protective face of the surface underneath aswell. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back