Help with White Floor boards disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There. New to forum. Can anyone help?

I wanted a white floor so stripped and sanded (i think oak floor) then painted with white emulsion, rubbed it in , sanded again. THe look was just what I wanted.

I then coated it with a clear varnish. Only this morning the first coat of varnish has yellowed so my white floor is now a really horrible dirty yellowish white.

What can I do to put it right without having to strip it all off again?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome advicehunter :D :D :D

2 choices i am afraid remove or cover :cry:

i am now assuming its oil based varnish !!!surprized it has yellowed in a short timespan use accrilic as it dosnt yellow with age

i wonder if its something leaching out of the oak that the emulsion didnt release!!!

HI Big All.

Thank you for reply. No it wasn't oil based - it was water based. Nothing had leached from the oak, because in one place hubby had dripped some varnish and that had yellowed in the shape of the drip. Even though bank holiday, the firms customer service was open and they spoke to their technical department. Who said...... "the clear varnish has a slight inherent yellow in it, which is magnified when put on white"... Thanks for warning me first. I said it doesn't do what it says on tin. They said I should hav edone a patch test! My money for varnish was refunded and they have asked me to send letter to their complaints dept. with photos etc so we will see.

We think we may have a solution... Hubby thought of putting ESP (can lurking in shed) and then painting with international floor paint. This has worked - not quite the distressed look I wanted but certainly avoided the hard work of restripping floor. It actually looks good -introduced another shade of white in the room and as a spare room it looks great.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
wear you stilletoes football studs and clogs and if your misses does the same ;) it will get distreessed twice as quick :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

bad enough having oil based going yellow without accrylic following suit :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back