Main RCD at consumer Unit tripping few times a day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Main RCD at the ccu trips couple of times a day! not doing anythying in the house at the time when it trips!
Any Ideas?

cheers

Sponsored Links
freezer
fridge
fridge freezer
washing machine
boiler
kettle
anything with water in it
'mersion 'eater
pond
outdoor supply

^^^ isolate all the above, see if it stops the tripping.

Its a process of elimination im afraid.

If the above doesnt stop the tripping, and you've isolated everything, its a circuit fault. Look under the ground floor for standing water, leaks in the loft, under the water tanks, for wiring submerged.

Big clue: does it trip at the same time each day?
If so you then can narrow your search to something that switches on at that time, like central heating, immersion heater timer, off peak heating, etc....

Ive already unplugged all appliances! It still trips!
RCD trips at random times during the day! Is there a test that can be done to narrow my search down!

Sponsored Links
An electrician with an insulation tester would be able to narrow it down.
He can also check if the RCD is operating within its spec. Sometimes these trip at a lower current than they should and cause problems.

It could also be an accumulation of a number of devices plugged in - PCs and associated peripherals all leak some earth current. These added together may cause the problem that your are experiencing.
Have you got a few PCs etc there?

As an aside, this RCD, does this control the whole house, or just the sockets? A photo of the board will create all sorts of help and suggestions..

Ive actually just received a new insulation tester! Think thats gpoing to be my next test like you say!
It is a bungalow with a 6 way single phase board! The RCD protected main switch is protecting the whole board. 1 32A for Ring main, 1 45A for Shower, 2 6A for Lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back