Garden path & shed base using a dry mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to lay a concrete shed base and extend it into a bit of a path. It would end up approx. flag shaped i.e. a rectangle with a longer thinner section coming off as the path. A friend suggested making a wooden frame, filling with some kind of dry mix, levelling & compacting then spraying with water. Something he had done in his garden.
Can any one help fill in the fine details?
Would I need a hardcore base - if so, what depth? or
Would sand be OK as the base - if so, what depth?
What depth of dry mix would I need to allow for?
Can you buy pre-mixed dry mix or what do I mix together?
How do you work out how much of everything to buy?
If I know depths I can work out the volumes of things, but sand & cement come in kilos/tonnes not cubic metres!
Any other advice welcome!
OonaghG

Sponsored Links
Hi, oonagh
The preparation depends on the state of the ground/subsoil etc.
But as a general rule, if you dig down 8" and put in some small hardcore to about 4" below finish level and compact it, and then set up a framework of timber to the finished level, Put in drymix to 1 1/2" below finish (using notched timber to tamp off the frame).
Lay the slabs on to a line set off the framework and bed them as you go.
there is no need to wet the dry sand/cement mix as the natural dampness/rain will set it.
Point in the next day and point up with a bucket handle tool.
don't be tempted to brush in as that will only make a mess.
The quants can be calculated easily as a ton of sand measures 2.2 m2

That might be a mt2 = 2 tons of sand.
ask noseall he'll know for sure.

Wasn't planning on laying slabs, just the concrete!
What items do you mix & in what ratio for the dry mix? Does the m2 to tonnes work the same for plain sand & the mixed stuff?
OonaghG

Sponsored Links
Oh, sorry,
just a concrete base then,
Ok
Similar substrate of compacted hardcore, (broken bricks or type 1, chalk or concrete bits.) similar depth.
Just mix the concrete or order ready mix .
Concrete is 10-1 balast to dust.
order 2 ton of balast and 8 bags of dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back