Painting 3rd coat after plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have recently had plasterboard put up on the ceiling and then had it skimmed over. This was done about 4-6 weeks ago. I have painted 2 coats over it so far. The 1st coat was a 70% mist coat of Jewsons trade matt emulsion. The 2nd coat was a full 100% of the same paint.

Now I want another 2 coats of Dulux white. The only choice I had was Rich matt or silk. I went for the first choice but am now thinking wether I should have not got it. I read on here all sorts of problems about Rich matt but will I encounter these when its on 2 coats of trade paint?

I hope its ok as I have painted some on already, though I am finding it hard to paint on. Also is does rich matt show up the "bad bits" more than others?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Trade paint (even Jewson :rolleyes: ) will need thinning on the second coat as the plaster even tho mist coated will still be too absorbant to handle NEAT emulsion

Basicly any quality trade paint is designed to be thinned by the decci who will dertermine how much thinning is required, to help flow out and maximum coverage in as few coats as possible. I would say your second coat applied NEAT is a bad move. thats whyyou think it looks duff. I would leave the rich matt alone and continue with the jewson matt But!! thin it by at least 10% . This should cover ok with less coats than rich matt.
TBH I never use Jewson ''trade.'' paint
I'm a decci not a property developer :LOL:

Good luck

Really? The jewsons trade paint seems quite thin. I only done this on my builders instructions and also the seller insists it can be painted straight onto new plaster with no watering down at all (1st coat included). I really hope this wasent a bad move

Also I don't think it looks duff at all, I just want to know if the Rich matt can do any damage and also if its the kind of paint that shows up every blemish?

For the walls we want dulux colours but again the only choice i have is silk or rich matt

Thanks again.

P.S The little bit of rich matt I have painted on looks pretty good.

Hm. As I said I dont use the Jewson trade emulsions. Sounds like they are like the gloss etc very thin.. However if the trade went on easy and brush/roller did'nt stick to ceiling, then ok. The rich matt should be ok but sounds like the jewson trade is so porous this makes the neat rich matt dry too quickly (looses it's edge) before you can lay it off. I got the impression from this
hope its ok as I have painted some on already, though I am finding it hard to paint on. Also is does rich matt show up the "bad bits" more than others?
that you were having probs getting the rich matt on.
The rich matt does have a slight sheen to it so will probably show any imperfections up more than a trade matt.

Putting rich matt onto a trade paint shouldnt hurt really, though if its difficult to apply I would certainly thin the rich matt down to help flow etc.

If there are a lot of imperfections in the plaster Matt paint is the way to go, silk will highlight the problems.

I'm suprised the sellersaid put it strait onto BARE plaster without thinning Duhhhh.
For future reference, If you have a bare plaster ceiling: Get some dulux trade vinyl matt emulsion. Thin the first coat up to 40%. the next coat 20% this will probably be all you need (2 coat) Dont use cheap trade paints or you will neeed how many coats have you put on so far?.

Hope this makes sense I havent had a drink yet.. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Many thanks you have been a great help. The rich matt is abit hard to paint on as it seems very sticky. I will try to water down a little bit tomorrow and try again. The humid temperatures probably didnt help this.

I will stick to the rich matt i think mainly because of the cost of having to buy more paint again. There are a few blemishes in the plaster but only really noticeable if you stare at the exact spot.

Thanks again

For future reference, If you have a bare plaster ceiling: Get some dulux trade vinyl matt emulsion. Thin the first coat up to 40%. the next coat 20% this will probably be all you need (2 coat) Dont use cheap trade paints or you will neeed how many coats have you put on so far?.

Vinyl Matt? Is this right???

Vinyl Matt? Is this right???

thinking-0061.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back