Central heating pump incorrectly installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've bought a house where the central heating pump is forcing the water the wrong way through the boiler. :(
It is a Grundfos selectric UPS15-50 Pump. Is there any way I can reverse the flow direction without completely removing the pump from the system and turning it around?
For instance can I change the motor direction and flip the impeller around?

Sponsored Links
does your pump not have an isolator valve either side of it?

even if you could do as you suggested it would be quicker / better to turn the pump around

Sponsored Links
Why CAN'T you just turn it round, if its been put in the wrong way??

If your pump really is the wrong way round, reverse it quick. My boiler was wrecked by an idiot plumber who fitted a replacement pump upside down.

Like most boilers (I imagine, not being a pro) mine had a thermostat reading the water temp at the outflow (upper port). If the flow is reversed, it's measuring the cooler return water as well as trying to defy gravity. This plays havoc with the temp settings - the boiler thinks it's never up to heat and is constantly in overdrive. That finished my old boiler off.

As Breezer says, turning it round is easy if it has isolator valves each side. Otherwise you'll have to drain the system (or plug-freeze the pipes?).

might be being an idiot but what problems is he pump being around the wrong way causing?

how can he be sure its the pump maybe the boiler pipework is crossed,just a thought :idea:

Tomul, you can easily check if it's the right way round. There is an arrow on the side showing the flow direction. If the pump is fitted on the "hot" side of the boiler (the pipe coming from the upper port), it should flow AWAY from the boiler. If on the return (lower port), it should flow INTO the boiler.

As Corgiman asks, it would be interesting to know what symptoms Tomul is seeing. Assuming the boiler hasn't melted already...

I,ve got my pump fitted wrong way round.What did you finnaly do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back