Beading Typs for External Rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I note with interest there are two types of stop beads - stainless and what look like zinc-plated. Is one designed for exteral use when rendering blockwork? If so, which one won't go rusty like the ones in my garden (which I didn't build!)?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Stainless won't rust , but then again zinc won't either, depands on what the zinc is plated to.....

Personally, I'd go with the stainless.

Stainless is best for outside work but more expensive. The galvanised ones are okay outside if you dont "scrape them with your trowel when cleaning down, this takes the galvanising off and cause's rusting. But as morrick27 said if you want to be 100% sure, fork out and go for stainless.....

Sponsored Links
and is there a "best" way of attching them? I was gonna just use waterproof no more nails type stuff.

OK, but that sounds like it'd be a bit close to the edges of the blocks. Will take a look at the beading at the BM to see how wide the mesh flange is on them. Thanks

Outside you use "standard Angle bead" and you scratch coat first then fit your beads. When you put on your bell-bead what we do is run 2"x1" batten all the way around the DPC (Level") and rest the bellbead on it and fix it with 12mm hilti-nails with washers on them. We then scratch coat and build the render out abit more on the bell so we dont have to put too much on when we float it out. The way we put the standard angle beads on is to get them plumb and level and put some 35 or 40 mm hiltis in to just hold them in position just knock them in till they "bite" and then get a bit of muck on your hawk and cover the mesh with it but keep the coat tight, and when you've done them all scratch them up and pull the hiltis out, them your ready to top coat and float...or you can leave them till you are....I find this way a lot quicker than mechanically fixing but I would not "poo poo" that method and I find to attach beads to concrete lintols with the hilti method a lot easier.. Good Luck and be easy on cjam24 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back