screwing plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks to everyone for their advice regarding fixing plywood to floorboards. i had more or less decided to use screws but it's good to get
other opinions. in fact when i went to my local hire shop to enquire about a nail gun the fellow even said that screws were the best, but it would take longer.

Sponsored Links
Get some Reisser screws. Gorgeous! A pleasure to drive in with an impact driver. Great for screwing down ply.

Mmmm. Impact driver.

//www.diynot.com/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&t=138885 is the link to reisser screws.

Thing is, he doesn't want to screw into chipboard or ply. He wants to screw THROUGH ply into softwood. Granted, the Reisser says for softwood and hardwood too. But they wood (arf arf) say that wouldn't they.

Electric tools to drive screws are great. But with caution. I've sheared screws in half with them.

You want a pilot hole in the boards (and joists, if you get that far), and a clearance hole plus countersink in the ply. It takes a while, but it's the best job, and this is your house. Line lots of holes up to do at once, so you're not changing bits a lot. Set a low clutch setting on your electric screwdriver, and finish by hand for a really good job I think. When yoiu do the last turn or two by hand you get a really good feel for when it's tight enough.

If you're trying to get away without drilling I predict a couple of things:

You'll shear some screws in half, leaving half a screw that is very difficult to get out. And you might not be able to leave it if it threatens to protrude.

When you're screwing close to the edge of the board it'll split sometimes. And you need to screw close to the edge of the board so you don't have any raised, er, edges.

Of course, all this is just my opinion and a bit of experience with this particular thing.

But it's your house, you might be living there for the next 30 years. Don't you want to do it once, and right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back