Skirting Board!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right - This might not yet be a disaster, but at the minute i am panicing!

I have pulled off the skirting board in my front room, and instead of there being plaster or wall there it is like a big gaping hole all the way around!

I am unsure what it was fixed on with in the 1st place!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I found this when I pulled off the skirting in my hallway. But, set back in the gap was a strip of wooden batoning and there were also little wooden blocks every now and again that were set into the brick.

Is there anything like that on yours?

What Alison describes probably applies here - in our house, the plaster ends about an inch down the skirting. The woodwork is all fastened to the wall using wooden wedges that were set into the brickwork presumably as it was laid, but definitely pre-plaster (all being the same, they knew where to place the wedges in each house). Thus when you come to replace the woodwork you end up dragging the wooden wedges (and half the plaster) out normally. Much fun. The wedges also sometimes served as spacers, so in the case of skirting, the plaster could finish short of the floor.

Did you pull any wedges out when you removed the skirting?

Have a clean up with a brush, you'll probably find bare brick in there. Pad it out with wooden battons to fix your new skirting.

Sponsored Links
Right, on closer inspection... (im a girl with no diy knowledge) there is brick there, however, its set further back than the wall?!
So again, not sure how to attach new skirting?

I have a plasterer comming in to other areas of the house - Do we think he will be able to work something out?!?!?!

x

Can you take a photo of it and post it up?

If it's anything like my house (which is really old - built in 1919), there should be either wooden wedges or strips of wooden batons.

Plasterer will sort it out, then just stick the new stuff on, very common and not a problem!! might need to screw or at least tack the new skirt while the glue sets

What holds the skirting on is little wooden wedges that are hammered into gaps between the bricks.

Some 1.5" x 3/4" bits of wood with a chamfer on on end, hammered hard between the brick ends then cut flush with the plaster is what I have used.

I also have several bits that are held on with lengths of broom handle hammered in smaller holes the same.

Unfortunately that resulted in my having to hire a midget to sweep the kitchen now.

"No nails" just wont cope with this :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back