exposed beading in external rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plasterer has rendered my house in white render.

He's not covered any of the beading but plastered to it, leaving the metal beading exposed at the corners and above the windows and doors.

Is this usual? I'm worried about the render flaking away from the beading and also the possibility of the metal rusting one day. (though he assures me the beading is stainless steel)

If it's not usual, is there anything he can do to cover it, short of skimming the whole house?

Any advice would really be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
All beading,both internal and external is plastered or rendered up to. The spine of a corner bead is left exposed, the edge of a plaster/render stop bead, including bellcast is left exposed, the same with a thin coat bead. This is usual.... I don't see many people using corner beading outside on rendering/roughcast. Stop beading/bellcast, I see/use that all the time, but not corner. If your plasterer says he used stainless steel then so be it. I worked on many jobs over the years with various firms and the beading used outside was always galvanised. The house we live in has galvanised bellcast beading, 35 years old, no problems. Stainless steel is best, but good quality galvanised is not bad either, but i'm no fan of plastic beading, although some would disagree.

Roughcaster.

Thanks a lot Roughcaster ! That's reassuring even though I don't understand the difference between stop beading and corner beading!

Seems like he's done a good job though to me, exposing the spine of the beading does look unfinished.

[
I don't understand the difference between stop beading and corner beading!

Corner beading is fixed to an external 90 degree corner to reinforce/protect the plaster/render from being damaged. They would be used around window/door reveals, beams, columns etc, as I said, any 90 degree corner. They are mostly used indoors...........Stop beads can be used inside or outdoors. If, say you have a decorative finished stonework area of wall, against an area that is to be rendered, then you would use a "stop bead" to give a neat finished edge between the render and the stonework, as the name suggests, it is used where you want to stop, neatly........ An exposed spine of a corner bead indoors doesn't matter because it will probably be painted anyway, but as you said, the spine of a corner bead outdoors in a render or roughcast doesn't look good. Most corners externally are formed with temporary timber battens and the corners then returned......I wouldn't worry about it though, there's not much you can do about it now.... you don't want to start painting the render.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back