How to use Scrim, Jointing Compound & Filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm just about to embark on putting up some plasterboard in my kitchen. I've decided the best way forward for my level of diy skill is to put up some furring strips so i can get them nice and level and then fix the plasterboard to thoses with screws, rather than dot and dab and trying to play around with the plasterboard to get that level.

Now to the question. What is the best way to fill the joints etc. I've seen some self adhesive scrim tape which seems easy enough to use, but do i need to put joint filler in first before i apply the tape. Also i've seen jointing compound which i believe is to go over the tape. Is this necessary if i'm having the walls skimmed afterwards with board finish. I'm also assuming i will need to fill over the screws before skimming - is this correct.

Any advice, help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Dot and dab is much easier. Then just use the adhesive to cover your scrim.

just do the boards and forget the tape the plasterer will sort it out and you wont save yourself a single penny doing the taping and filling but may cost the plasterer more time.

just do the boards and forget the tape the plasterer will sort it out and you wont save yourself a single penny doing the taping and filling but may cost the plasterer more time.
I agree; unless you’re really sure of what you’re doing, you could end up making more work for your plasterer rather than less; & some insist on doing their own prep. work so there is no comeback! You should always ask whoever is plastering for you regarding doing your own prep. work &, if they agree, follow their instructions explicitly.

I also agree with joe about dot & dab; it's a far quicker & easier prospect than battening &, IMO, gives a better result (providing there are no other reasons for battening). Unlike plastering, it’s really not as daunting a prospect as it may at first seem!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys - Very helpfull. I was just worried about getting all the boards level using the dot and dab method. I think I will have a go on one of the smaller walls first and see how it goes and then build up to the bigger walls once i've had a bit of practice.

I'll speak to the plasterer and see how he wants it left - makes sence to leave the scrim and jointing to him as like you say, if i mess it up and the skim all cracks it will be back to square one i guess.

Once again - thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back