Water based paint for radiator

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought some Dukux Satin paint for the woodwork in the bedroom. Not only does it say it's self undercoating it says can be used on radiators. Goes against the little I know about painting.......thought you needed an undercoat for quite a big colour change and I thought you couldn't use water based paint on rads..had to be oil based. Please help !!!

Sponsored Links
Modern day acrylics can do all sorts of stuff. The water based paints don't yellow so suits rads quite well. Just thin it a little and apply two coats.

I have just come home from a job..over the years the customer has painted all her rads with orinary matt emulsion and its solid..im not saying its a good idea, frankly im baffled how they have lasted, but they have! :rolleyes:

If it had bene me or any other painter who had done them I would bet a pound to a pinch of **** that they would flaked within three days! :evil:

I used an ordinary oil based undercoat and two coats of water based gloss on a rad at home years ago, it didnt yeloow and it hasnt budged, even though it said on the tin 'dont not use on hot surfaces

So..painters, who you do reckon has the industry got it wrong...have they bene bluffing us all these years...all that 'two oil based glosses no undercoat marlarky????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back