Plaster disaster ?? need quick advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I redid the lower half of a wall in our bathroom with some one coat plaster as it needed 5mm in places.
Left it to dry 3 - 4 days and have tiled the whole room but noticed the tiles on the one coat haven't stuck that well yet and i can pull them off with a bit of effort.

I'm guessing i've screwed up big time.
If i leave it will it just take longer to dry and be ok or is the plaster buggering up the adhesive big style ?

No i didn't use and pva . i'm thinking i should have.

Advice please out of this mess :oops:

Sponsored Links
It maybe that the "One-coat" plaster has not dried out yet, therefore not letting the tile adhesive dry out. I used a lot of one-coat plaster when it first came out in the early eighties and we put it on up to 2" thick so you can imagine how long that took to dry out, but it never cracked.... Did you use a good brand of tile adhesive? Maybe it will mean taking the tiles off and letting the plaster dry out completely. Couldn't you have given the wall a skim of tile adhesive if it was only 5mm thick?

I think to be honest 5mm is a little on the easy side........ :oops: which is why i did the one coat and not the added adhesive. The worst bit is it's the best bit of tiling i've ever done. Stright true and square........and falling off :LOL:

Good quality adhesive for sure. Thats one thing i dont skimp on.

I've popped off the tiles which come off easy and i'm going to leave the rest to see what happens............... :?:

Some times when the wall is bad and needs building out I have used a skim of adhesive and built it out with old ( or new) tiles bedded into the adhesive and then tiled over the lot...No problem.

Sponsored Links
My guess is that it will dry eventually and all will be well. The problem is that is is difficult to dry now as the air can't reach it. You should have waited until the plaster was bone dry.

Another point I have just thought about, was the wall damp or single skin? The reason why i ask is if it is, then onecoat plaster is the wrong thing to put on it. You would have to put sand and cement on to stop any water penertration and also sort out any damp problem aswell.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back