Metal Stud Wall systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
can anyone point me towards a good place to buy metal stud walling kit? Need to build an internal wall that will be temporary for a year or two in a room with period features so a few screw holes will be ok, but I think a trad. timber stud will be over engineered ( and a pain cutting out for dado, skirting etc)
Quick internet search seems to only bring up commercial style systems, only need a 16ft span.
Also any ideas for panelling? No need for plasterboard as it won't be skimmed...
Cheers all,

Jeff

Sponsored Links
i'm sure all the leading plaster manufacturers will have their own products, i.e. knauf, british gypsum, lafarge etc.

jeff - Travis Perkins, load of branches in Co. Durham, do metal stud partitioning systems. In my experience TP tend to be a bit more expensive than other buildes merchants. LeFarge do a 'domestic' system called Homespan but you'll need to check with TP to see if they carry it.

Sponsored Links
From preference I would not touch it - Use wood.

I have a house built five years ago with this (Knauf?) and you would not believe how flexible the framed walls are! Have modified it in a couple of rooms and taken a wall down.

Benefits - it is straight, light and you don't get splinters in your hands. Also as the parts overlap lengths are not critical.

Disadvantages - you need grommets for cable runs, wall is very flexible (unless you glue the plasterboard on), not easy to add strengthening for radiators/cupboards etc, electrical fittings have to be in the cavity boxes and not steel back boxes.

My Daughter's flat - built a year ago has timber. Builder's site foreman said they would not touch steel framing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back