How to stop Damp on plasterBoard Wall's? Any Idea's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've got a problem and hope some one can help I have plasterboard wall's it's a new property 3 year's old it has already had paint on before i moved in however the bedroom is quite hot and now i have damp patches over it i have kept a window open to let out the humidity i have tried sugar soap to take the damp patches away however it's come back any idea's how i can get rid of the damp patches and still be able to paint on my wall's with an emulsion any help will be gratefully recieved. :( I forgot to add the damp patches are not on a outside watll's .

Sponsored Links
Sugar soap is only for getting rid of grease and stains like nicotine, it will not get rid of damp patches. Try using a thinned down oil based undercoat on the damp patches then recoat with emulsion once dry. Check that there are no leaks within the walls first ie is the wall backing onto a bathroom.

There's now way you will get damp from condensation in a hot bedroom - look for another source of water.

Thanks I'll Try an oil based undercoat first I can't think what else would cause it as the wall that it affects back's onto the inside stair well and the person above me has their bedroom above me their doesn't seem to be any water pipe's near the wall that is getting the damp patches and it's not on an external wall People have surggested pva over it or using a THompson's damp seal before i Paint over it i have also been surggested to use a bleach first then oil based paint then emulsion i've been told that bleach kill's the damp spores and the oil based paint stop's damp coming through does that sound right? thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
No it sounds like a load of rubbish. You won't get damp in a hot bedroom. Try drying it with a hair drier - if it dries you've got a leak. If it doesn't then it's not damp.

Well at first I thought a leak from a pipe had caused it but then i thought i would have noticed a loss in pressure from the tap's wouldn't i? I'm running out of idea's where it could be coming from the reason i surggested condensation was that The flat is like a furnace it read 23c around the house and we did get lots of water build up around the patio door frame and window sill's now alll i want to do is get rid of it and paint my house i've had poxy magnolia for 3 years and its the first time the wife has agreed a colour with me lol :rolleyes:

Are you on a ground floor ? The plasterboard walls, are they dot and dabbed onto brickwork, as sometimes if there is rising damp as in old properties the damp can penetrate the board by coming through the dabs of adhesive on the back of the board. Bleach will kill mould spores but if its just a damp patch then there wont be any. Dont use thompsons water seal as this is silicon and wont let paint adhere to it.

If I were you I'd get into your loft when it rains. You may well have a leaking roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back