Adding a security light to my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a security light to the outside of my garage. I have a single light switch which I would like to change to a double switch- one switch for the security light and the other to remain for the inside garage light. How do I wire the new double switch? i have managed to feed a lighting cable identical to the ones already there down the conduit to the switch. At the moment 2 cables go to the switch and can be traced back to a main box with trip switches. cable 1 has one red wire connected to a COM point (i presume live) while the neutral is linked to the neutral of the other cable via a little block. the earth wires of the 2 cables are aso linked together at the little block. the red wire of the 2nd cable is attached to a L1 point on the switch. My cable is at present taped up and not being used. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Get new double switch.

Remove the two wires from the existing switch and connect to the 1st new switch in the same way (Com and L1)

Your new cable connects like this:
Live / brown - to L1 on the 2nd switch
Neutral / blue - to the existing block where the other neutrals are
Earth / greenyellow - to the existing earth block.
The other end connects to the new light.

Now link the two COM terminals on the switches with a short length of brown wire. (One COM terminal will also have the wire for the existing light in it).

If you find that the new light only works when the existing one is on, swap the wires in COM and L1 on the first switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back