Fence Post dimensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to build a post and rail fence as a boundary around a raised concrete / tiled terrace. The fence will be 1 metre high with 40/50cm bolted to the side of concrete block terrace.

The longest run will be 13 metres. Based on the size of the rails available to me here (3m long, 12cm wide) I plan to have posts every 1.5m which I imagine will make for a sturdy fence. Doing this makes best use of the 3m rail lengths and although increasing the number of posts (I'd originally worked on 2m spacing between the posts) reduces the total cost due to less wastage on the rails.

So - based on 1.5m between posts, what diameter do you think the posts should be? Is 6cm by 6cm enough, of should I do for 10cm by 10cm for example?

Thanks for your help.
Richard

Sponsored Links
I'm about to build a post and rail fence as a boundary around a raised concrete / tiled terrace. The fence will be 1 metre high with 40/50cm bolted to the side of concrete block terrace.

The longest run will be 13 metres. Based on the size of the rails available to me here (3m long, 12cm wide) I plan to have posts every 1.5m which I imagine will make for a sturdy fence. Doing this makes best use of the 3m rail lengths and although increasing the number of posts (I'd originally worked on 2m spacing between the posts) reduces the total cost due to less wastage on the rails.

So - based on 1.5m between posts, what diameter do you think the posts should be? Is 6cm by 6cm enough, of should I do for 10cm by 10cm for example?

Thanks for your help.
Richard

6x6 are you joking?, 10x10 min

No, not joking.

The thing is most references say 10 by 10, but then they also say 1.8m apart based on 3.6m rails. So....if I'm looking at a 15%'ish reduction in the size of the opening, it stands to reason to me that I can go smaller in post size.

What do people think?

Sponsored Links
lowest you can go is 75 x 75, but i would go for 100 x 100. Your theory about the reduction doesnt hold true im afraid.

a post 100x100 will look right

a post 50x50 will look ridiculous (and will break anyway)

edited

as you say
... a post and rail fence as a boundary around a raised concrete / tiled terrace.....
it is particularly important that it should be strong enough to prevent people toppling off

Personally I think the 3" (75x75) are rubbish, I would always recommend a 4" (100x100) post.

depends what effect you are after, but on any normal type of fencing i totally agree. I always like seeing the look on clients faces when we just snap them off when removing a fence!

Aye, one puff of wind and over they go :eek: I reckon if you used 60x60's it'd be dangerous to "let one go!" :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back