INDESIT W103 UK bearings need replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

After my washing machine (Indesit W103) started making loads of kncking noises whilst spinning, I figured the bearings may have worn out.

I've removed the components and taken out the big white/cream plastic back from the drum, which houses the 2 sets of bearings. I found that 1 set have completely gone, whilst the other bearing seems ok.

I've been to purchase new bearings (£14.99) from a local shop and have come to the point of actually raplcing the bearings (both sets are included in the new pack).

However... I 've no idea how to best go about it!

I've read elsewhere that people on forums have changed them quite easily...

Can anyone help???

Sponsored Links
I've had another look at the bearings, and have observed that...

The outer bearings are pretty much 'sealed in', whereas,

The inner bearings are held in with a thick rubber seal, but have also got a sort-of metal ring around the opening.

I'm thinking it may be a matter of whacking the inner bearings out from the outer side. Should I do this, or is there something i should be doing witht the metal ring thingy?! (it's not fastened on with screws or anything)

yes you need to get the seal out and bearings use a drift or saddle stem from a push bike .a few hard whacks needed make sure inner race is not stuck in the hole good luck :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Gave it a several whacks and managed to force out the outer bearings, the rubber 'plug' and half of the inner bearings! The inner race and the balls came out, leaving the outer race still wedged in the hole!!

Have coated the offending item with green oil and WD40, and will leave overnight and see if I can force it out tmorrow!

Still no luck..!!

Found that the claw of my claw-hammer fits nicely into the stuck outer race, and I'm able to use it as a lever, but the thing's stuck solid!!

Have now coated it in lubrication gease and will have another go when i get my strength back!

Any tips on extracting outer races/bushes from inch-deep holes?!?! :LOL:

if its well stuck keep banging at 12 oclock 3 and 6 and 9 till if shifs . other that you need a back plate which when new will be round the one you got there will be slightly distored then u will need a hair dryer to make the plastic flex to put back on .not for the faint hearted .try a metal tube that fits into the hole good luck ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back