wood for decking thats reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have decided to build some decking and it is a very large area. We want smooth wood finish using fairly wide planks.
Is there a cheaper alternative to standard deck boards as the estimate for that is quite expensive?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
depend where you got the estimate fom, didnt go to a local "shed" did you?

try a timber mechant.

it also depends on if you use hard wood or soft wood,, decking boards... or what width they are,,, some are 6inch and some are 5inch wide and what lengh they are

Sponsored Links
At the end of the day you get what you pay for, go for a cheaper alternative and it probably will not last, remember the framework and decking board has to support weight, as well as look nice, so in a few years time if you haven't used the right timber you could find yourself falling through the deck if it rots or worse someone else and if they injure themselves then they could claim off you.

Get a number of quotes from various timber yards not just one, but tanalised timber is slightly more expensive than ordinary timber as it has to go through the tanalising process, I.E. placed in a sealed vacuum tank which is then filled with tanalising fluid to get right into the wood itself, this all takes time and money for the timber supplier!

Shop around for the price per metre. I've seen lots of references to using 6x2 treated timber (joists) laid flat as decking boards, in American websites and books. Using the regularised joists (joistmate/easi-edge) will give a smooth surface. Use normal hairy joists and you'll need a belt sander to avoid splinters.

Like I say though, depends on price.

B+Q do 144mm wide deck boards, smooth on one side. They sometimes have special offers on it.

isn't the wider board more prone to crack and split?

Absolutely ... I wouldn't touch 6" boards for anything other than skirting the frame.

4" boards are the best IMO, nice and thick solid and won't warp/split.

Looks better also IMO.

And ... Buy from a sawmill NEVER a shed.

MW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back