Pre-cast Stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a deck in my back yard (will not be attached to the foundation). The basic design drawing below:

deck.jpg

Within my plan was a wanting to remove these stairs.

steps.jpg

I wanted to remove them because my neighbours (condo) have built decks around and over them and have (A) a concrete step in the middle of a wood deck (silly looking imo) or (B) a bowed decks that are being supported by the pre cast stairs (as the grade fell).

So with that .. I asked the condo corp if I could remove them. They agreed to the design, but then found out I was removing the steps (I told them) and provided the following:

We discussed your deck plans at our last meeting and concluded that because the concrete steps are attached to the foundation of your home and therefore part of the structure, we cannot allow you to remove or alter them in any way. We ask that you avoid contact with the steps in the design of your deck and present us with your new plans.

Thanks,
The board of directors

I am concerned with effects on the foundation but I still want to remove them (ie.. are they attached or just hung?). Initally my plan was to drill holes then break em up with a sledge. Is this a sound plan?

In the end, I simply want to know what is best. I had two pros come in and give me estimates on decks and both wanted to remove these staris. Is this in line with the norm?

I am concerned that building over them will not allow for proper support below and/or that it will put the deck up too high causing water to infiltrate the patio door if I do build over?

Should I conceed and build around them or pursue further this matter with the board?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Sponsored Links
answered your own question
We discussed your deck plans at our last meeting and concluded that because the concrete steps are attached to the foundation of your home and therefore part of the structure, we cannot allow you to remove or alter them in any way. We ask that you avoid contact with the steps in the design of your deck and present us with your new plans.

Thanks,
The board of directors

I wanted to remove them because my neighbours (condo) have built decks around and over them
now you know why

Thanks,
The board of directors

Yes they are part of the structure, but that means nothing in terms of being part of the foundations.

I would be more than amazed if anyone was to say they had any effect on the strength of your foundations.

I can only presume they wish to keep the steps, should the decking be removed at a later date.

You seem to have more than enough room to build over the steps, leave a small gap to your patio doors.

Sponsored Links
Maybe you could clad them in wood to disguise them? and make them look part of the deck?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back