DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Shower Stream Bath mixer - no hot water through shower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparrow2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum but hoping someone can help with this one.

The Shower in question is a Shower Stream manufactured by Meynell Valves Ltd and is the bath tap mixer type.

We've had the shower about 15 years with no trouble but it gradually needed the dial turning further and further to get hot water - now there is no hot water at all coming through the shower. The flow of hot water at the tap is fine so I know it's not the filter on the inlet. There has been no change to the hot and cold feeds (gravity fed hot, mains cold with flow restrictor)

I've had the shower in pieces today to see if I could see what the problem was - there is no sign of anything being broken - all washers seem OK and I can't see that anything is seized up - it was all pretty clean but I've cleaned it up anyway. I've adjusted the temperature screw all the way in and out with no effect. I'm absolutely baffled as to what the problem is. The instruction manual is of no use as it only really has installation instructions.

Would anybody have any experience with this unit and any helpful suggestions, and/or an exploded diagram of the workings of the shower. I've searched on the internet without success.

If it's any help, the details on the underside of the shower tap are:-
BSM - S/n 016965, Meynell Valves Ltd.

Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
cider

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote

Sparrow2 wrote:
Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum but hoping someone can help with this one.

The Shower in question is a Shower Stream manufactured by Meynell Valves Ltd and is the bath tap mixer type.

We've had the shower about 15 years with no trouble but it gradually needed the dial turning further and further to get hot water - now there is no hot water at all coming through the shower. The flow of hot water at the tap is fine so I know it's not the filter on the inlet. There has been no change to the hot and cold feeds (gravity fed hot, mains cold with flow restrictor)

I've had the shower in pieces today to see if I could see what the problem was - there is no sign of anything being broken - all washers seem OK and I can't see that anything is seized up - it was all pretty clean but I've cleaned it up anyway. I've adjusted the temperature screw all the way in and out with no effect. I'm absolutely baffled as to what the problem is. The instruction manual is of no use as it only really has installation instructions.

Would anybody have any experience with this unit and any helpful suggestions, and/or an exploded diagram of the workings of the shower. I've searched on the internet without success.

If it's any help, the details on the underside of the shower tap are:-
BSM - S/n 016965, Meynell Valves Ltd.

i took one out last week, the tennant could only get a warm shower by running the basin or bath tap at same time! didnt try to fix it but replaced it with a mira extra shower / filler which looks very similar.
 Alert Moderators
holty

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote

try turning your mains cold off then try on hot and see wot results you get.let us know.
 Alert Moderators
PlanetThanet

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Hi

A service should bring it back to life http://showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/meynell/virtuosocd.htm

Thanet
 Alert Moderators
Sparrow2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote

Holty - Planetthanet - thanks for the replies.

Holty - If i turn the cold off, there's nothing coming through from the hot at all - the mechanism inside obviously isn't letting any hot through at all.

Planetthanet - thanks for the link - very useful - didn't hold up much hope of an exploded diagram so that will help enormously. I'll strip it right down again tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
 Alert Moderators
colheath

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote

Hi, hope someone can help, I realise this is an old thread... a google search brought me here.

The shower part has become more and more difficult to turn off recently and I now have a constant dribble... I have taken off the plastic cap but can't see how to get the rest of it off to change the washer.

Thanks in advance...
Colin.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: