Worcester Bosch combi boiler Greenstar 24i junior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I woke up at 4am to hear water coming out of the bottom of the boiler, gong through the floorboards and through the floor. I turned the water off in the house and isolated the 4 pipes which eventually stopped the flow. I had the boiler installed 9 months ago. It is still in warranty.

The man who installed it thought it may have been the manifold which he says has a history of being faulty.

The Bosch representative says that it was caused by a blockage in the external pipe?

Is this possible? Why would it cause such a leak at 4am when the boiler was not in use?

Sponsored Links
External pipe that would either be the condensate pipe or pressure relief pipe.
If it was condensate pipe the only way this could fill the boiler(when off) is if it was connected to a rainwater downpipe that was blocked and it backed up into the boiler(during heavy rain).
Pressure relief pipe if blocked would need the filling loop to also be left open to cause a pressure build up within the boiler that could then cause a seal to go.
Sounds like somebody does not want to admit the truth

Thanks for the advice. The Bosch people have replaced what they say was damaged and have blamed the installers for the problem.

The installers haven't found any blockages and think it may be rain blowing in from the flue. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Sponsored Links
I would check the drain where the condensate pipe connects it...I have seen them fitted into an exsisting pipe and they have forgotten to drill the hole!

Was it torrential rain at the said time fo the incident??

The installers have put a new pipe in which is not now attached to the down pipe and is thicker.

It was raining at the time but I'm not sure if it was torrential. Certainly no more than we've had recently.

was very busy yesterday with boilers leaking from the heavy rain, was like a monsoon round here in the early hours I have never seen rain fall like it. Tends to run through the air inlet side of the flue into the combustion chamber and out of the bottom.

What is the pipe now attached to if not the down pipe.does it terminate at a drain.
Certainly sounds like it must have backed up the condensate pipe from downpipe which is why people should use a tee piece somewhere on a run like this and and leave one branch open as an overflow to prevent boiler filling under such conditions its getting quite a common fault

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back