IDEAL TREAD WIDTH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had French doors fitted to the rear of the house, which open out onto a paved area.

the height from the bottom of the cill to the flagstones is 490mm

I intend having timber steps fitted, using decking boards as the treads, but without any rises, i.e. just open treads

I assume 3 treads will be enough

What width tread is best ?

The decking boards are 140mm, but this may be too narrow for a tread

I thought about cutting a board in half, giving 210mm tread, or would it be better to go for 2 full boards, i.e a 280mm tread

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
What width tread is best ?

Remember that if you are having to step over a cill then this alters the placement of your foot so you will probably need more 'go' than you think, or a slightly bigger landing step. Also since it is open treads then you may need to take note of toe space.

2 full width deck boards used for the tread might be the way to go (pardon the pun) but it all depends on whether you are constructing the entire stair or buying pre-made strings. It is easier climbing up a short tread step than descending it - you definitely don't want narrow and wet treads when you are going down the steps.

we always use two boards on any decking steps we do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back