Permission for Skips on public highways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice.
I`m a roofer and i primarily subcontract,working on building sites.

I have done plenty of strip jobs in my time, but working for a firm, never off my own back.

A friend of mine wants me to strip and retile his roof, and what i`m concerned about is permission or clearance needed before i can get a skip dropped off on the road for the waste?

Also, scaffolding, does that need some sort of clearance before i can get one put up?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You will need a skip licence from the highways department of the local council to place the skip on the road, these vary in price from approx £16 to £40 depending on the council.

As far as scaffold is concerned, as long as you are not erecting it on a public highway or pathway you don't need any permissions, the only permission you may need is from any neighbouring poperties that the scaffold may intrude upon

Licence is sorted out by the skip companys up here. They ask you if its going on a public highway, if so its £10 extra.

Sponsored Links
Licence is sorted out by the skip companys up here. They ask you if its going on a public highway, if so its £10 extra.

Hah, after posting my last post i was just checking out the regulations on local council website, and was just going to ask another question to check that point. You read my mind, and answered my query.

Thanks and well done, but of course you knew i was going to say that. :)

Yeah, some councils are a pain in the wotsit and require the contractors to get them but most are fine with the skip company doing it

some skip companies refuse to leave a skip on a public highway overnight.

also, whilst working in London a few years back, once you have your skip and permit, those little busy-bodies at the council then send out squads to check on the skips to which the permits are affiliated.

if you have not provided adequate lighting and cones, they then proceed to put them around YOUR skip.

and charge you for it!

The hirer (ie the builder) should buy a permit from the LA to leave the skip on the highway. However, it is the depositor (ie the skip company) who is responsible for actually leaving the skip on the highway - and it is the skip company who the LA will chase or prosecute.

Many skip companies, in their T&C's on the back of the receipt, try and pass responsibility for the highways permit and lighting after dark, onto the hirer, but they can't do this, and the responsibility for any contravention of the law is with them.

Scaffolding also requires permission, but I think that the building owner/hirer is responsible in this case, not the scaffold company

As has been said i know most skip companys just charge you more to put it in the street, they normally ask you where its going before delivery.
With scaffolding you do need a permit before hand if it goes on to a path, be careful because it can take a week or so.
Cheers
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back