CFL lighting problems with new Movement sensors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently had PIR movement sensors fitted to a stairwell which controls 9 2D type CFL units which are also emergency maintained units, but since the installation I seem to be having a lot of lamp and HF ballast failures

As the lights now switch on and off multiple times per day, as opposed to being on all the time, is this the likely cause of the increased failures?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Never experienced this myself??

How long do the lights stay on for when the sensor kicks in?

They are set to about 3 minutes and I would guess at possibly 100 activations per day

They are set to about 3 minutes and I would guess at possibly 100 activations per day

Hmmm well I'm not sure. When I've installed these sensors on any kind of fitting with control gear, I always have them set nearer to 10 minutes.
I just can't see ballast etc liking it being on and off so rapidly.

If it was my problem I would give it a trial period with an increased time, just to see if it makes any difference. :?: :(

If you figure it out, let us know...

W

Sponsored Links
I can certainly try extending the on time, though that will kind of defeat the idea of having the lights switch off when not in use :confused:

The idea was to save energy when the stairs are not in use, but I am not so sure it is the right thing thinking about it, presumably there would be an increase in energy use when igniting the lamp, and this done many times per day would out weigh any savings if the lights were on all the time? Would I be right in thinking that?

Well yeah you have the strike current and all that. If it's turning on nearly 100 times a day, then surley you can set it to a longer time and no-one would really notice.

I've put these in toilets, where people sometimes dont come in for 30mins or more. Also in fire escapes. But if it's a common use staircase, I can't see the point of it. It must cost more to turn these fittings on and off 100 times than to just leave them on, plus replacing all these parts aint cheap.

I would set them to 10-15 minutes, they'll probably never appear off because people are around, but when they clear out the lights will go off, I rekon it would be more cost effective this way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back