how to adjust or rehang a slightly sagging gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago I had some gates fitted, each about 6' by 6'. They seemed well made with cross pieces, pegged, etc. However, one has sagged by about 1/2" or so and rubs against the other when closed. The hinges used are v similar to http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75120...e-Hinge-Packs-Spelter-Galvanised-50x630x165mm There doen't seem to be any adjustment in the hinge itself; how can I adjust or rehang the gate? (The builder has since passed away from the big C. :( )

Sponsored Links
spindletopdouble2.jpg

I'm assuming they are wooden gate, if so, the braces need to come off and re-adjust unless the braces are the wrong way round?

Sometime it can be impossible to get the braces off if they are well made and glued, I have done one out of metal flat bar with screws in the opposition direction of the braces to stop it sagging down

Thanks for the quick reply. There are pegged mortise and tenon joints at 6 points where the horizontal members meet the vertical ones. The braces are just nailed in place. Here's a photo.
Should I remove the braces and trim them as required and reinstall them?

Can you take another photo almost in shut position so I can see where the gate is rubbing & on the higes side plus the photo of the gate hinges on the outside

Ideally just 1 long brace from top left to bottom right will do it. The bottom gate from left need to be lifted with temporary block of timber or whatever slightly higher than the correct position then fit the new brace

Sponsored Links
if a gate drops it shouldnt rub unless a joint opens up because the rails should stay parralel!!

you shure your post hasnt leaned 1/2" as that would equate to 1/2" drop at the bottom edge and a 1/2 lean at the top

Nice looking gates

I have also seen it done with a length of wire and a screw tensioner :eek:

it is much easier if you wedge up the gate to shape (or a bit too high) then brace as it will settle a bit when you put the weight back on

not being much of a joiner I would hesitate to try and take it apart and rebuild it :oops:

In addition to the other posts - are you sure you gate has sagged? Or is it hung on a post which has moved?

Since a gate 'should' be square and true, you could measure corner to corner in each direction and see if there is any difference. If there is, then it could have sagged (or just not made properly in the 1st place?)

OK, more photos as requested. The top of the gates when shut where the drop is quite visible:
The top of the gates when almost shut:
the top hinge from the inside (not much to see really!):
the top hinge from the outside:
and the bottom of the gates when closed:

I had thought that the gate had sagged but it would appear the 6x6 post of that side is no longer quite vertical.

it would appear the 6x6 post of that side is no longer quite vertical

Glad you found the cause, all you need to do now is apply a remedy.

You will probably have to remove the gate from the post before doing some digging and concrete pouring. Make sure the post is absolutely plumb before you pour any concrete and add a couple of temporary diagonal braces to the post to stop any movement while the concrete sets.

You really want to brace it in both planes, and the less lateral force being applied to the post (i.e. by the gate) the better, at least whilst the concrete sets.

Glad you found the cause, all you need to do now is apply a remedy.

You will probably have to remove the gate from the post before doing some digging and concrete pouring. Make sure the post is absolutely plumb before you pour any concrete and add a couple of temporary diagonal braces to the post to stop any movement while the concrete sets.

Easy for you to say! :) Not sure if they were set in concrete initially and there's block paving around the post which makes checking not quite straightforward.

Do I have any options other than to try to reset the post? I'm guessing I don't...

Strictly speaking there should definitely be some concrete down at the bottom of the post - I wouldn't trust compacted soil/hardcore alone to do the job in keeping the post upright/plumb.

There may be other ways of fixing this problem (such as only moving the hinge if there was enough tolerance between gate and post to get the gate plumb again) but I couldn't say for sure. And then you would have to risk the post continuing to move and you ending up back at aquare one.

My guess is that your gate is out of square and the hinges should be nuts & bolts and not screws as you can see the the hinges are not straight therefore dropping down, also should have another hinge on the middle rail. The braces has failed to do to the job and my guess is they wheren't tight enough to being with so really need re-bracing again. I have made many strong gates and I don't want to criticize but your gate is not well made as featheredge timber are not strong enough for a gate, if it was me I would take all the braces out and put in 1 length from the bottom hinge straight to the opposite side which will stop the sagging.

Another thought is to put a square plywood and screw it to the back once thet gate is square will give you a very strong gate and will stop it going out of square/sagging, sometime you can get away with 600mm wide plywood next the hinges side should do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back